• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rusty's Off-road tie rod conversion

Ben824

NAXJA Forum User
I saw on on rusty's website that they have a fairly simple and well priced HD tie rod conversion.

http://rustysoffroad.com/mm5/mercha...ys&Product_Code=RS-SC250-UV&Category_Code=ste

Anyone tried it? Some Thoughts? I really thought of it for improved street performance but off-road performance is a concern too for how well it would hold up. The stock steering is kind of sloppy so this looks like it would help improve the steering gyometry and tighten it up some.

have seen it first hand i can tell you it likes to dance. the tie rod flexes like a mofo.

rustys said:
The conventional tie-rod ends last much longer than the race type heim ends and can be bought at any rural auto parts store (part# ES140R & ES62L). Whether you're in moab or in the smokey mountains of tellico you can find replacement parts.

how about purchase a 1 ton steering setup for slightly more cash and not worry about breaking tie rod ends to begin with.

Currie tie rod and drag link are working great on my TJ and I wouldn't hesitate to install them on the XJ. Still the inverted Y setup, but it works fine.

Have been burnt a few times by poor quality from Rusty's and can say that I personally wouldn't trust my steering to him!

I have this tie-rod I bought second hand, it broke on the guys jeep driving down the street :) Rusty's welds = FAIL... so He welded it back together properly and then I took it and cleaned it up, SO far so good, I am going to put stronger 3/4 ton dodge tre's in it when I have money and call it done, I am on 33s so hopefully it will only dance like ktm said and not bend

Yah I have never been a big fan of rusty's stuff bought some of their motor mounts did the job fine just transferred a lot of enigne vibs into the chassis so I took them off and put back on new stockers. Had a buddy who bought the 3 inch lift for his XJ and it rode like sh*t. I was hoping that maybe Rusty finally got something right but its sounding like he didn't. But I am not worried about something standing up off-roading as much as I am worried about street performance because unfortunately my XJ spends most of its time on the street. The factory steering on my XJ with the RE 3.5" lift and 31s is sloppier than I prefer and would like to tighten it up some. Already replaced the steering box and even though the Jeep has 153,000 miles on it the TREs still check out ok no excessive play in them when checked.

Do a search on this subject and you'll get many answers regarding this exact product. A lot of good and bad about it. Too much to re-list.

Ben824 said:
I saw on on rusty's website that they have a fairly simple and well priced HD tie rod conversion.

http://rustysoffroad.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=rustys&Product_Code=RS-SC250-UV&Category_Code=ste

Anyone tried it? Some Thoughts? I really thought of it for improved street performance but off-road performance is a concern too for how well it would hold up. The stock steering is kind of sloppy so this looks like it would help improve the steering gyometry and tighten it up some.

Why not go with the Rugged ridge setup for about 160 shipped from cse offroad?

http://www.cseoffroad.com/1805082.html

I have the Rusty's and I don't like it at all.

It does dance and it isn't the rod flexing, it is due to the placement of the draglink on the tie rod. With it being on top like that the tie rod will rotate and the drag link will follow it back and forth with out you turning the wheel. So when you cruise down the road it rotates back and forth and causes the jeep to wander.

Just my 2cents, I am going to switch to a real 1-ton setup soon.

If your gonna spend the money, why not get a 1 ton upgrade kit from JCR??? It is stout and not too bad price wise. Now granted you would have to ream out your knuckles and pitman arm to accept the TRE's, but it is a much better set up them the cRusty's item and unless Rugged Ridge has got more produced, I believe I remember reading that they were backordered for a while. As Blackchrome stated...you get what you pay for.

Also, JCR is a sponsor of this association and you can get a discount!!! Support those who support us!!

I have just a rusty's tie rod, works perfect, different than the whole package tie rod. Takes a big hit no sweat. JCR has one of the best looking conversions out there. Iron Rock sells just a tie rod for $49 right now.

Spanaway Mudder said:
Wow...That sums it up...

but how do you know forsure those are rusty's?

Iam not defending rusty's by anymeans..just wondering

i was about 3 feet to the left of the cameraman

Back