• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

207 driveshaft

jonb8

NAXJA Forum User
Hi, new here. I had a click every now and then in 4hi/lo thought it was an axle joint. After my 3in lift it's real bad now. So that's the top knucle of the driveshaft since the diff side joint is new right? Is that funny lookin thing rebuildable? Or should I try to swap it out, my searches have been confusing at best. Thanks guys

Picture079.jpg

So here was the problem. The stock front driveshaft in my 84 xj was a constant velocity driveshaft. When used with my 5inches of lift it quickly bit the dust
brickwall.gif
. Diagnosed by a loud popping sound up front everytime 4wheel drive was engaged.
Solution=upgrade to a double cardan joint.
For this I found the yoke for a np231 (supplied and installed by oddball
grinning-smiley-004.gif
), this was needed because my np207 and cv ds didn't use a yoke. The yoke fit in the transfer case with no problem. It was a 26 spline yoke.
The next problem was to find the correct driveshaft. I needed a driveshaft that was roughly 26 1/4 inches long collapsed. I searched the net and at the naxja.org forums found that the driveshaft for a 4cylinder manual transmission cherokee would fit.
The driveshaft installed perfect fit and no more loud noises in 4wheel drive. Can't wait to get out an test it.

Thats just a bit of a write up I did when I had the same problem

I just did the same as Mstrkage but I could not find a 4 cylinder manual XJ to get the drive shaft out of. Instead I just took the drive shaft out of what was a 4.0L AW4 4wd XJ with a NP231 (I took the yoke as well) and shortened it myself for a perfect fit. Careful aligning with a dial indicator made it so I did not have to get it balanced. There is a good write up on Pirate 4x4 search "drive shaft shortening 101". If you don't have a welder to shorten it yourself a drive line shop could do it for around $50-$100 which is a lot cheaper than a whole new custom shaft.

Back