• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What is this sound and is it major

Loose muffler vibrating?
Muffler mounting bracket hitting the side of the gas tank?

do you still have drums brakes? i bet it has to do with them if you do. If you haven't already do the zj swap and have one less thing to screw with. I have already taken the drums off more than once to see the brakes and springs just fall out, and that's not only on jeeps. Drum brakes suck

RTicUL8 said:
Loose muffler vibrating?
Muffler mounting bracket hitting the side of the gas tank?

Thats my guess.

sounds like bearing noise to me. you can hear the sound when the axle is loaded and it goes away when it is not. if it were something rubbing in the brakes you would be able to hear it all of the time. but it could be exhaust rubbing on something. are you sure it is just coming from the one side? it sounds like it could be pinion bearing.

if you still have drum brakes have you tried checking the wheel cylinder, particularly the adjustment of the brake shoe if not properly adjusted it will make a thudding sound while braking.

if you still have drum brakes have you tried checking the wheel cylinder, particularly the adjustment of the brake shoe if not properly adjusted it will make a thudding sound while braking.

check also the cross member holding the transfer case as you press the gas from a stop it will also make a thumping or roaring sound if the bushing in the cross member is already worn out allowing the transfer case to vibrate and touch the exhaust thus the sound

GrimmJeeper said:
i bet you ran over a lion and its stuck in there now. its roaring to tell you to let it out!

Comon guys, this is Tennessee, not Africa!

I think it might of have been his drunk ex-girlfriend.
She was under the Jeep trying to cut his brake-lines, when he got in and took off.
She's now wrapped around the drive-shaft. :D

what lift do you have?

could be your need for a SYE or new ujoints.

Back