• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Annoying '85 4cyl problem

carnuck

NAXJA Forum User
Running low on ideas. Stupid carb probably (we tested the ignition module tonight and it was fine) Runs on 2 or 3 cyls. Doesn't overheat (doing a compression test tomorrow to see if it's blowing between 2 cyls just to be sure) All rockers move equally (no flattened cam) Haven't checked the timing chain yet (runs great sometimes and not others)
I want SOOOOO bad to convert it to Renix TBI (just fixed a manifold vacuum leak and dead clutch master, dried out pilot bearing and now this)
It was low on gas (added more, so it could be crap from the tank gumming stuff up) Too dang cold to play with it here!

I need to build myself a shop (have one started at my cabin, but 3 feet of snow is keeping us away from there)

Run the air valves all the way out till they hit the seat and unplug them.
Take an old plug and gap it to around .045-.060 hold it to ground and look at the spark. A wide yellow spark that splashes, is weak. A sharp (mostly) blue spark, that makes that crack sound, is good.
Get a timing light and check how your motor is advancing. Recheck your timing, with the distributor vacuum advance unplugged and the vacuum line plugged.
Use the same timing light on every spark plug, point it at a dark spot and watch how each individual cylinder is firing. Try to figure out if the misfire is the same cylinder each time or random.
I've never messed with a 4 cylinder carburated XJ, but have spent many many hours messing with YJ's. I'm thinking they are likely fairly similar.

Back