• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

HELP, troubleshooting

Funky Fresh

NAXJA Forum User
i own an 89 Cherokee Laredo 4.0

...so i got a problem with my jeep...i took it to a jeep shop and they couldnt determine the problem...he said all the sensors n such checked out....

the situation...

...it takes about 5 seconds of cranking time to start and when it does start it sounds like it is going to choke out and it kinda "gargles" but it starts....

....ill be driving and the jeep runs like crap, sometimes it wont even go over 20 miles an hour....it kinda just putters down the road...i thought it was a transmission problem...seemed like the gears werent shifting but thats not it...

....someone told me it was the o2 (or catalytic converter) sensor....but it checked out.....then the mecanic tells me the sensor is going haywire cuz the engine is running cold which makes the sensor go crazy but that doesnt make sense cuz i ran it without a thermostat for 2 years....

....im thinkin the whole computer might need replacing...

...does anyone kno whats going on?
beerchug.gif

*UPDATE*

i checked some lines didnt see any clogged or bent but im not sure if i checked well enough....

....couple i things i noticed while test driving

1.) the idle speed is kinda screwy...when i rev it around 4000 for a couple seconds and let it down it idles at 1000 for a few seconds and it works its way to 750 but the needle is hoppin up n down, its not steady......

....then i pop it in drive and the idle goes to around 300, needle still poppin up n down, the jeep sounds like its runnin crappy....
iono.gif

2.) next i noticed when in park the exaust has bursts of air poppin out of the exaust pipe when i put my hand in front of it....nothing major but not sure if their should be no poppin at all

.....when i put it in drive and the idle speed goes down it starts poppin a lot more and a lot harder.......when im drving its even worse and when accelerating it seems acceleration is normal then all of a sudden it slows tremendously and stays at a low speed, it does this at different speeds from about 5 to 25......
iono.gif

FYI.....when in park everything seems great, i can rev it and it sounds good, i rev'd it at 4000 for like 20 to 30 seconds and it didnt skip a beat, when in drive it starts actin screwy, to me (uneducated) it sounds like an air related problem but i dont kno very much (just basics)

When was your last tune up? IE, cap an rotor and plugs.. Wires too...

Also check your air an fuel filter.. If you did a tune up on her, where did you gap your plugs at?

Have you done a compression test on it? If you did, what are the #s..

Check the fuel pressure regulator. About a $60 part. Check vacuum lines as well. A vacuum leak can do the same thing.

With those symptoms the place you took it to isn't much of a "Jeep shop."

i just tuned it up and im not sure about the gap question can you explain more? just replaced the fuel pump and filter, not sure about the compression test, can you reiterate?

also about the fuel pressure regulator, how do i check it?

Remove your spark plugs, get a feeler gauge and make sure they are all set properly( I second the 35 gap)- this will cause your Jeep to run lik @ss if it's not done properly. Even if they (parts store) say they are already gapped, check them again, at least two of them will be wrong. The feeler should slide between the electrode and the metal prong on the plug. Also make sure you put your plug wires back in the correct order...also will make it run like @ss.

Get a book for your jeep, it will help you alot.. If you check your gap on the plugs, do one (1) at a time.. Remove the plug, check it, and install plug an wire... Hope this helps..

egr solenoid on the side of the intake manifold fall out of its holder?(looks like a gold ufo) mine did that last weekend.. Ran like hammered dog shit. And tighten intake manifold and exhaust bolts? Check vacuum diagram on the firewall on the drivers side to verify vacuum hose routing? MAP SENSOR UNPLUGGED! make sure its not pluged into the bolt instead of the port.. Its located in the middle of the firewall.. Good luck.

blibra said:
egr solenoid on the side of the intake manifold fall out of its holder?(looks like a gold ufo) mine did that last weekend.. Ran like hammered dog shit. And tighten intake manifold and exhaust bolts? Check vacuum diagram on the firewall on the drivers side to verify vacuum hose routing? MAP SENSOR UNPLUGGED! make sure its not pluged into the bolt instead of the port.. Its located in the middle of the firewall.. Good luck.

i need some more info, im a newb and not so smart at this stuff....the map sensor is plugged in and the tube is plugged into the right spot....

....whats egr solenoid? intake manifold? exhaust bolts? vacuum diagram and routing? where are these things located?

Last edited:
Funky Fresh said:
i need some more info, im a newb and not so smart at this stuff....the map sensor is plugged in and the tube is plugged into the right spot....

....whats egr solenoid? intake manifold? exhaust bolts? vacuum diagram and routing? where are these things located?

...whats a feeler gauge? is it a torque wrench?

I suggest you get yourself a Haynes or Chilton's manual. I had a similar problem with mine and it was due to a faulty Throttle Position Sensor. I find it hard to believe some shop tested all your sensors. It is a bit of a PITA to test them since you have to pull the insulation back on some of them and test them while it is plugged in. Get yourself a cheap multimeter (measures volts and resistance) and the manual. Also, check all the above posts too, but definitely get the manual, it helps for a lot of stuff.

Tommy4949 said:
I suggest you get yourself a Haynes or Chilton's manual. I had a similar problem with mine and it was due to a faulty Throttle Position Sensor. I find it hard to believe some shop tested all your sensors. It is a bit of a PITA to test them since you have to pull the insulation back on some of them and test them while it is plugged in. Get yourself a cheap multimeter (measures volts and resistance) and the manual. Also, check all the above posts too, but definitely get the manual, it helps for a lot of stuff.

i got the book...will the multimeter check if the sensors are working properly?

Yes the TPS is adjustable with an volt meter. adjust it to specs. If it gets a crazy signal to ecu and it will be irratic.

The EGR valve if you stand at the driver side fender and look at the black air box. Follow the black air intake to the throttle body. then come back twords you and down in the side of the intake manifold. Its a gold disc with a plunger pop it back into its holder...? I'm sorry to confuse you the EGR solenoid is located on the fender well by the airbox on the drivers side.

I dont know. Post in your local :NAXJA: forum offer someone a 12 pack to help you look at it? :repair:... GL

Hey Funky Freash I Think you should just give me the jeep I am Justin Ronstadts Buddy from work
I will help you out tho I'll come look at it or something just talk to justin

And heres my jeep
jeep.jpg

l_4c2fa86c81d2d918edbd4d7a7d20bbdd.jpg

l_fe1332bcb7ae5608485e95b5da046b9e.jpg

l_de74cc5aa59f0663ba1cf38d993048dd.jpg

l_57a5089d45188d4f028959b9c8e32864.jpg

Back