• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

U-Joints?

hot_rod_hooligans

NAXJA Forum User
Any one have a recomenation on the easiest way to get the U-joints out of the rear drive shaft, and yoke. Dif side has allready been removed, but having trouble with the others.

Take off the retaining clips if it has them and get a socket that is just a little bit smaller than the end cap. Then place the driveshaft on a table with the end just off the end of the table. Place the socket on the end cap and start hitting it with a hammer. You'll see thee u-joint move after a couple hits. Get the bottom cap off first then take out the middle part. From there you can just hammer out the last cap and you have yourself a jointless driveshaft!

reelbigdundy87 said:
Take off the retaining clips if it has them and get a socket that is just a little bit smaller than the end cap. Then place the driveshaft on a table with the end just off the end of the table. Place the socket on the end cap and start hitting it with a hammer. You'll see thee u-joint move after a couple hits. Get the bottom cap off first then take out the middle part. From there you can just hammer out the last cap and you have yourself a jointless driveshaft!

Can't get the drive shaft out, can't get the yoke side apart, I have all the clips out but can't get the u-joints to move to remove the shaft, do I need to pull the whole yoke out or what?

Last edited:
Since you have an '01 you should be able to pull the driveshaft straight off the transfer case splines. Mine was the same way, it was really hard to get off the first time, but a good tug should be all it takes. Just clean the splines and re-grease them before you reinstall the driveshaft.

I used a bench vise, two sockets and a dead blow hammer and it took me about five minutes to remove and re-install on my first try. :gee:

I prefer to not let my driveshaft fall onto the ground, i just tugged mine out.

Go to AutoZone or O'Reilly's and get the ball joint press as mentioned above. They make you buy it buy you can return it and get your money back. I just changed the ones on my '98 and didn't pull the drive shaft out of the transfer case (too lazy to get another clamp for the boot), just crawled underneath and applied the press. Took less than an hour.

Just remembered another trick for getting the driveshaft out. My rubber boot was stuck to the transfer case. I sprayed around it with penetrating lube and then twisted the clamp on the transfer case end of the boot until it the boot came unstuck. Then the shaft pulled right off.

I would go ahead and buy a ujoint press. You will probably have to change your joints again sometime (especially if you wheel it) and with some adapters you can use it to change your ball joints as well when they go bad. ALWAYS USE THE RIGHT TOOL FOR THE JOB

Back