• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

question about using a dodge TRE in an RE track bar

ricot83

NAXJA Member #1297
does anyone know really quick whether or not the track bar mount has the same taper for the tierod end as a stock jeep tierod has????

The reason I ask is some I know has the re1600 track bar with the heim joint and it seems the joint is bad, so IF it is the same taper then I could replace their heim joint with a larger dodge tierod end that has the same taper as stock, that being the part number ES2847R which also has a 3/4-16 thread I believe

What do you guys think?

Napa carries one under part number 269-2760, that will work in the RE trackbar.....

Ivan said:
Napa carries one under part number 269-2760, that will work in the RE trackbar.....
that number doesnt show up anywhere I search, the part number I wrote above supposedly is the same shank and taper

That part number is from an old post I saved a while back, that others have used with success. Napa may be able to cross reference it for you.

As far as the ES2847R joint question, I use those for my tie rod ends (using a beefier tie rod of course). If the taper for the track bar mount is the same as the taper on the steering knuckle, then you're good....

precisely what I am trying to find out

I remember seeing some guys on ROF do this a while back, and I think the end result was the TRE went bad pretty quick and they switched back to the heim end.

Kinda related, I tried installing my 05 TJ OE track bar into the 88 XJ and the shank taper of the TRE was different, so it was a no-go. For some reason I thought I had been told they were the same, but they weren't. XJ shank was shorter and more steeply tapered.

Curious to see what you end up with because I've got an RE 1600 that's coming off the TJ in a few weeks and I want to use it on the XJ, but don't want to drill the XJ mount out to 1/2" and would like to find an end that'll work.

different taper i guess, didnt actually try it though

Back