• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

chop top question.....

h-townxj

NAXJA Forum User
wanna chop the top of my 4 door and was wondering....

if i plate the rear inside the bed smoth with 1/8" plate would it hold up for at least a month with just 60 miles a day 5 days a week. no wheeling(till the cage). it will be fully inclosed. and a cage would be coming the next month most likley just for several reason dont think il have the time todo both at the same time...

thanks in advance.. sorry if this has been adressed

-Donald

why not just wait till its time for the cage then chop it?

well that would be best i agree a month is at most. the more likley is a week difference in install and a month would leave me time for any hang ups.

I would not do it.

While the structure is stiffer then some think with the roof removed, all it will take is one fender bender or the right speed bump, and its over.

Wait....do it right.

Rev

alright that pretty much awnserd my main question the plan is todo both less than a week apart but things can get hung up and it was mainly a question if something came up thanks for the info.

I was able to chop the top and cage it in a long weekend. Do all the planning on where and how you will cut now. Take out all the plastic and headliner that will get in the way. If you wish, pull the glass as well. I did all that the weekend before I chopped. Saved a few hours when I started the chop.

Hey your just up the road! Just chiming in because I plan to chop my top in probably 2 to 3 weeks. Ive already plated the whole frame with 3/16, I have 2 cross members and T&Ts belly pan/ over sized crossmember. Im going with a new 8 point cage, bracing on the floor, and if all goes well it will be a removable hard top.
Good luck on your project. Be sure to take plenty of pics, and do a write up. Id love to know what you would do differentally and get some tips.

ya well see how it goes right now it may be another month but im trying to figure it all out now inorder to hopefully do it right the first time. and thanks for the tip Overdriven makes sense and glad to know that as long as we had a long weekend and were well prepaired we coudl get it done.

ya ur right i am just up the road well and hour or so but it is up the road lol

Back