• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Brakes Gone Bad (PICS)

supershale

NAXJA Forum User
*edit*..I searched on NAXJA the word "divot" and found that I'm not alone. Misery loves company, as I do not weld, or own welding equipment, or a have a neighbor who does the such. HO HUM.

So..hum de hum..just picked up this jeep, and the brakes sound funny. Bought calipers and pads, couple clicks of the socket wrench and VOILA!

I guess I'll need a new knuckle, unless someone has a better solution...

brakes1.sized.jpg

brakes2.sized.jpg

brakes3.sized.jpg

:scared::scared::scared::scared::scared:
brakes4.sized.jpg

Last edited:
Not that unusual.

I filled in my divits with a welder, the filed them flat again.

Atleast your caliper bolts were not stripped out ;)

And that is a knuckle, not a Hub.

Zuki-Ron said:
Atleast your caliper bolts were not stripped out ;)

i did that this weekend istalling my axle tube seals.
What a pain in the ...

god bless Time-serts

Get a dremel with a sanding bit and smooth the ridges out. So the pads have something "smooth" to slide on.... not like a "wall" to hit up against.

Then grease the rails.

That's what I did, seems like a good fix if you don't want to replace the knuckle or if you don't have access to a welder to fill the "notches."

Some brake sets come with a metal"slide or clip" to put over those notches so the pads will slide freely.They may even be available seperatly.

Wayne

I've heard of those, but have never seen them anywhere.

Wouldn't the bottom of the pads that slide along the rail have to be wider to compensate for the extra material slid over the rail on the knuckle?

But like I said, just smooth down the notches so the rails are smooth throughout, and then grease them. The pads shouldn't get stuck then, as the notches will be gone.

Back