• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

failed inspection; how does high beam switch work?

92xjsp

NAXJA Forum User
Some time ago my jeep was stolen via the usual busted steering column method, and one consequence was that the high beams no longer come on when you pull the wiper control/turn signal lever. However, I can still work the switch by pushing down on the exposed metal piece shown in the picture below and labeled "brites".

I've made it through inspection for several years like this, although sometimes it takes 2 or 3 tries. If they see me work the switch instead of hitting the lever, they fail me. The city people tell me the rule here is that stuff has to work just like it came from the factory, not simply work.

Meanwhile, the little metal piece is getting harder and harder to work (and so becoming more obvious to inspectors), so something is deteriorating somewhere. That's why I failed today.

So, 2 questions (groups of questions): Where does that little metal piece go, and what does it do? And is there any way to make it work again, short of repairing all the damage?

2nd, the keylock and keyed ignition also don't work. I start it by pulling back on the other broken metal piece that I've labeled "start" in the picture. What would be involved in fixing that?

Another post on here now is from a guy with a similar problem, and he just ordered a "steering column" from a used parts place. Is that going to come with all the parts that are broken here? I'm really less concerned with replacing the broken steering column than just getting everything functional again. (I use a steering wheel club to deter theft.)

brites.jpg

That is a GM steering column. The easiest way to fix it would be to get a different steering column that works. Try [B]www.car-part.com[/B]

Here is a link that may help with repairs. http://elcaminocentral.com/article95.html . You can get a new ignition lock and key, but it may not work because of the damage.

They can steal your Jeep by cutting the rim of the steering wheel with a bolt cutter. The Club can then be slipped off and they drive away with your Cherokee.

Tim_MN said:
They can steal your Jeep by cutting the rim of the steering wheel with a bolt cutter. The Club can then be slipped off and they drive away with your Cherokee.

True, but it's kind of like sitting down to put on tennis shoes when a bear is about to charge you and your friends - you don't have to outrun the bear, just avoid being the slowest potential victim. The hope is that when the thief sees your club in the parking lot, he moves down the row 3 cars to the next car with a GM column without a club.

Also, I use this clawfoot club, where he has to make at least 2 cuts:

club.jpg

I'm not saying it's foolproof - any security can be overcome if the thief is dedicated enough. But my point was that if I was using a club, I didn't see where I'd gain any extra security by having the column repaired back to stock, given how easy it is to bust them. (Now, that steel column is different, that may help - or, come to think of it, car thieves have probably worked out an easy way to beat that, too.)

Tim_MN said:
That is a GM steering column. The easiest way to fix it would be to get a different steering column that works. Try [B]www.car-part.com[/B]

So then, are you saying that buying a column DOES get you all the parts inside, per my question above? Sorry if that's a dumb question, but my experience is kind of limited, and so far I've been surprised a few times by what is included when I buy parts.

Also, if you replace the whole column, doesn't that leave you with a bunch of wiring you have to do? Or is it just a couple of connectors that readily plug in?

Tim_MN said:
Here is a link that may help with repairs. http://elcaminocentral.com/article95.html . You can get a new ignition lock and key, but it may not work because of the damage.

On a quick look, that link looks great. It's for an 87 Camino but it says that it applies to many GM tilt steering columns - does anybody know for sure if that applies to my 92? (And how did a jeep get a GM steering column?)

Just found this - do I get all of this (minus the steering wheel) in a "steering column"? A guy said he found one on carparts.com for $125, and that sounded cheap for all of this.

I also like that there appears to be just one plug-in connector for the wires.

column.jpg

carnuck said:
I see 3 connectors?

Where? I might grant you 2, if the black thing with red top is a wire instead of a twistie-tie or something. But I don't see 3. The exposed wires up top that you see all go into the turn-signal/brites/wipers control arm, which had better be part of the column - that would be a real wiring nightmare if its not. Is there a 3rd connector somewhere else that I'm not seeing?

Actually 3, or even 5 or 6, would be okay, as long as they're all plug-in connectors. And now that I've started shopping, it makes sense that they would all be plug-ins, so that the column comes as a self-contained module. I think my earlier worries of a wiring nightmare were overblown.

Shopping is weird, however - car-part.com shows a yard near me that has 3 of my model year, but when I called them they said they had none. Not sure what to make of that. I acted like I was calling cold to see if they'd quote a different price. Now I guess I'll wait a day and then call in and say I saw them on the web.

Just replace the column. It should be a plug & play if you get the right one:yelclap:. The last one I did was. There are several plugs to dis/re-connect. When you get the old one out, you should scavange the ignition switch (electrical) off of it for a spare. Same with Hi/Lo beam switch, etc. before scrapping it.

Make sure you get a key with the new column also, otherwise you'll be looking at fitting a key or replacing it. If you pull the old one out, it will have a key code number on it to have one made, but you can pick up a new one for about the same price as having one made by code. Kind of a push, there.

Also, It is kind of dangerous driving it this way, in that right now, the rack is broken and the lock plate pin has been retracted (locks your steering wheel). This pin is spring loaded but most likely stays retracted because the linkage is bent. If it worked itself loose, it could shoot back into the lock plate, locking the steering wheel while you're driving, causing an accident.

Replacing the whole column is your best and SAFEST bet.

Last edited:
Back