• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

My bumper design. Suggestions?

jonnyghost

NAXJA Forum User
I designed it with the idea of running the Smittybuilt XRC8 (8000lbs)

I was thinking of using 1/4" steel for the plates running along the frame rails across the cross member and under the winch and 1/8" with a little reinforcemnt everywhere else. (By the way, does anyone have a cad file of the bolt pattern for the frame rails they would sell me?)

I'm going to cut the fenders behind the bumper and the flare will be cut to sit just above it. The bumper will stick out flush to the outside of the flare. Do you think this will be to far?

Let me know what you guys think. This is my first winch bumper so any suggestions would be appreciated.
bumper.gif

i think it looks great. I like the one with both tubes on it.

Do a quick search on that cad file, i know i down loaded it off here when i did mine. It was not a cad file though, but more of a drawing of hole locations that could most likely opened in cad though.

looks simailir to the one i built, heres some specs on the bumper/steering mount holes from a thread a long time ago i saved
1pxkw9.jpg

t7gaqo.jpg

Nice bumper, I too like the one with the 2nd set of bars.

I don't think thats SolidWorks though, looks too cartoonish and not as resolved as something SW would make.

Looks good!! Post pics when yer dun!!

Hey, thanks for the tips guys, and the info on the bumper/steering mount holes is great, saves me a lot of work.

The program is Sketchup by Google. Not the best in the world but it's FREE!

Foxwar71, I like your bumper. What's the hight of the vertical face?

vbmenu_register("postmenu_243763573", true);

Last edited:
Very nice design.

I made this one, a little bit of overkill but he wanted to stop worrying about the deers on the backroads. The only part different from an XJ is the mounts.
Also make sure that your tubes do not interfere with your headlights/marker lights.

DSC00037.jpg

DSC00034.jpg

Build is here:
http://s25.photobucket.com/albums/c72/jfiscus/Custom Fab/ZJ Bumpers/Winch Bumper 1/

I also noticed you did not have shackle mounts, are you planning on continuing the mounts through the front into mounts? (I didn't make any mounts on my project above either)

bumper6.jpg

bumper7.jpg

Last edited:
aside from the shackle mounts, consider how and where you would place the lip of your hi-lift if you ever needed to jack up the front on the trail. My Protofab bumper didnt have anywhere to use the hi-lift so I notched a couple of v's

lowrange2 said:
Geez! Over kill is an understatement...

I know I died when I saw that !! Do you wear a bag over your face when you drive it?

jfiscus said:

:eek: That thing looks like it was punched in the mouth...looks like a fat lip! Are you demolishing houses with that thing! Not knocking your effort though, good build.

Good idea with the high lift jacking points djblade311, I didn't think of that but I think I'll add it to the design. Definatly planning on adding the shackle mounts on the end of the mounting plates, just havn't drawn them in.

Here's round two. Raised the bottom of the bumper for approach angle and changed some of the intersecting planes. I think I like number two the best but I'd like to hear from the rest of you guys.

Does anyone know if 1/4" steel is enough for the mounting brackets and winch plate?

Just a note. I'm going to take lots of pictures and notes on the build and will post them along with the template files (in cad and pdf) here on the forum.

bumper-redesign.gif

jonnyghost said:
Good idea with the high lift jacking points djblade311, I didn't think of that but I think I'll add it to the design. Definatly planning on adding the shackle mounts on the end of the mounting plates, just havn't drawn them in.

Here's round two. Raised the bottom of the bumper for approach angle and changed some of the intersecting planes. I think I like number two the best but I'd like to hear from the rest of you guys.

Does anyone know if 1/4" steel is enough for the mounting brackets and winch plate?

Just a note. I'm going to take lots of pictures and notes on the build and will post them along with the template files (in cad and pdf) here on the forum.

bumper-redesign.gif

.25" steel is more than strong enough bordering on overkill(depending on alloy).

Yes, .25 is easily enough. Most are either 3/16" or 1/4". I think it's more of how many mounting points you have than the thickness of the plates themselves. If you have 1/2" plate, with the stock bolts, that sucker is still gonna rip out....

Back