• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Oil Pressure Question

Cherokeekid88

NAXJA Forum User
My oil pressure has always seems to have a pattern but mostly always the same. When i get in to start it up, my pressure is between 55-60 psi. Drive around stays in the 50's while cruising. When i come to a stop its usually right below 40 psi then a little further down the road, come to a stop at its at like 25 at idle (thats as low as it will get) then ill give it gas and it will go back up into the high 40's low 50's. Well here recently when i start it up after it sitting all night it will be at like 55-60 psi and then while driving it will stay at like 45-50, then drop down to 23-25 at idle (which is normal) and then give it gas and it will get up to like 45 and drop down to 40 as im driving and stay there. Now it takes me a long time to reach 3000 miles for an average oil change. I make a lot of short trips and would take me almost twice as long as the normal person to make one oil change, so could it be that my oil is just in need of changing and is breaking down to cause lower pressure readings? I changed it about 4 months ago and have only put maybe 1000 miles on the jeep. the oil level is fine and its already gotten a dark color to it.

supposedly oil breaks down from factors other than milage over time..."they" say that you should change your oil every three months regardless of milage. I doubt, however that this has any bearing (pun intended) on your oil pressure readings. you neglected to describe your heep and milage. also i am unclear on exactly what is changed or is the "problem".

I'm pretty sure it's the sender, my 98 acted the same for quite a few years then the engine blew from a stuck injector. We put a new jasper rebuilt in and the pressure was EXACTLY the same when driving with the new engine. I've just never gotten around to slipping in a new sender but then it could also be the gauge itself, they are not really known for being accurate, just one step above an idiot light. My TJ does it too but it's the connector or the sender, oil pressure goes to -0-, I wiggle the wire and up to 55 or so then it's good for a while. Scared the crap out me the first time it happened right after I changed the oil too...

88 XJ
My oil pressure readings have been reading lower than usual here lately. I Usually run about 50-60 PSI while driving and about 25psi at idle. Now its more like 40-45psi while driving and still at the 25psi at idle. I believe this happened to me before and once i changed out the oil, the pressure was reading more normally. Thinking about going 10w-40, since its starting to get alot warmer here.

change your filter and see if your numbers go back to "normal" Ive had a few jeeps now and once in a while a filter will clog up if the jeep has been getting little use or if I wait to long to change it. 3-4 months is long for me we do about 700 miles a week in the wifes xj but my Yj wont see 3K miles in a year so it gets oil changes every 3rd xj oil change just out of habbit. also Id sugest getting a napa gold filter and not a fram

Yeah seems i had the best run with my napa gold, then i switched to Puralator. Ive also switched back and forth with weights. I had been running 10w-40 and then i ran 10w-30. Any regrets from going back to 10w-40? for some reason i like using a thicker oil.

What filter are you running? Fram's are a big no no. I've used nothing but Napa Gold on both Jeeps, the truck, and other family member's cars that I work on and have zero complaints.

I'd say you don't have anything to worry about though....those numbers are actually really good with 173K on the clock, and a lot of short driving. If you want a little more security and peace of mind, hook up a mechanical oil pressure gage to it and get a reading from there, both cold and hot idle. As mentioned the gages aren't really known for being 100% accurate.

I have always ran napa gold filters. except this time, pepboys was running a 6 quart of penzoil and a puralator filter for a penny. So i went with that. Anyone have any problems running 10w-40?
EDIT: Walmart now sells mopar oil filters, might pick one of those up tomorrow. How do you guys feel about supertech oil? Stay away or ok to use?

No prob with the Purolator filter but I would not put penzoil in my neighbors lawnmower. That sh^& will gum up anything it is used in.

Pennzoil sucks co#$-n-balls. My personal preference is Castrol 10/30, and 10/40 in the summer. Haven't had any problems with Fram filters, has anyone else?

Fram filter have been know to leave the seal on the oil filter adpater and if not noticed when installing the new causes a leak. I always get a WIX filter for my jeep and have never had a problem and are the same ones used in NASCAR (not that I care) but because of the stress and temp seem to out last and outpreform IMHO.

<---- used Fram on old xj- sold at 300,000+
and useing fram on the Mj now, at 250,000+

In my book of lore, if the oil changes color drasticly, its time to change it-my gauge will jump around when it starts to go bad-but sits steady when its good....
This is the first winter its gotten cold enough here to not run 20/50 with lucasoil mixed in- I too, like thick goo.

I've had the O ring stick on a couple, my fault for not seeing it but I've also had two of them separate, can from base and blow out the oil pretty quick.

that oil pressure is fine and the idle pressure is really good for the age/mileage so IMO don't worry about it

and for anyone still using fram, cut one open then cut open a wix/purolator and you will see what the stink is about ;)

I just changed my oil. Went with Castrol GTX 10w-40. Thought i should go ahead and get the $3 a quart stuff and have a more secure feeling about what im putting in there. Started it up and pressure looked normal to me, so all seems well.

RichP said:
I've had the O ring stick on a couple, my fault for not seeing it but I've also had two of them separate, can from base and blow out the oil pretty quick.

Same here. For some reason they love to stick on the Silverado....even though I put some oil on the new seal before I install it. Got quite the scare drivin down the road one day in the truck and noticed a bunch of blue smoke behind me.

I used mostly Fram filters and whatever oil was on sale at WalMart on my '87 and everything was still fine at almost 200,000 miles. Did the same thing on an old Mazda we had and it was still going strong at 175,000. I quit using them on my '97 TJ and '98 XJ because WalMart started selling the Mopar filters. I would like to see a real scientific test of oil filters, not something based on someone cutting a bunch open and comparing the amount of filter media. Tried searching on bobistheoilguy.com but didn't find anything other than the usual Fram bashing.

I have always used Wix oil filter. They have an antibleedback valve in them. Frams do not. A buddy of mine is a parts guy at a dodge dealership and he said that the mopar oil filters are Wix filters. They were having a lot of problems with fram filters but im not too sure about them anymore. I kind of figure I would stick with the filter that the nascar guys use. Good enough for their engines, good enough for mine.

KLRTom said:
I used mostly Fram filters and whatever oil was on sale at WalMart on my '87 and everything was still fine at almost 200,000 miles. Did the same thing on an old Mazda we had and it was still going strong at 175,000. I quit using them on my '97 TJ and '98 XJ because WalMart started selling the Mopar filters. I would like to see a real scientific test of oil filters, not something based on someone cutting a bunch open and comparing the amount of filter media. Tried searching on bobistheoilguy.com but didn't find anything other than the usual Fram bashing.

how 'bout this
http://people.msoe.edu/~yoderw/oilfilterstudy/oilfilterstudy.html

KLRTom said:

Big obvious reason, look at every factory OEM filter, none made by Fram, none from the factory and those book keepers who decide what parts are used have made a religion out of saving a penny and they could save quite a bit by using Frams.

Back