• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Shifter cable replacement

go to the junkyard and pull one. you will have to remove the center console, and dig around up underneath the dash a bit. doing it this way, however, will show you how to rout it when you put it back in yours. its not a bad swap.

Just make sure that You keep it clean of Heat and other moving or rotating parts

everybody has a different level of compendency when working on cars. for some, this would be an easy fix, for others it may be tough. so its hard to answer how difficult it would be for you.

do you have a haynes, chiltons, or FSM? at the very least you should have a haynes or chiltons as a reference. ive been working on car and motorcycles for 25 years and have a manual for every car i work on, without it i can get by depending the problem, but for car specific problems, you need a reference.

if your just learning, get a manual before you tackle this on your own or find a friend or maybe your father to help.

after looking in the haynes changing the shift cable doesnt seem that complicated..

in the hanyes it doesnt explain how to remove and replace just adjust, but im guessing its fairly simple?

first i relase the calbe from the shift lever assembly then from then i release it from the shift lever on the transmission and pull it out??

i have a couple questions? in the book it says i have to raise the vehical and support it on jackstands? do i need to do this??

also is there anything i need to watch out for as far as saftey is concerned?

and last question do i need any special tools for this job?

thanks

so I have started to remove the center console, and now is see where the shifter calbe is..only problem is i have no idea how to remove shifter Nob to take the console off??

any suggestions would be great?

I got the console off, did a search on here to and figured out how to get the nob off..

now im thinking i need to lift the jeep to get to the shifter cable near the transmission??

can it be done without lifting the jeep?

Back