• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

A testamant to the quality of Rubicon Express products

CJ's98XJ

NAXJA Forum User
I've always ben a big fan of Rubicon Express. Tonight I can say that I really put their stuff to the test.

Eralier this afternoon my wife, 2 year old son and I were driving down the street, less that 200 yards from our home. (a residential 25 mph street) I slowed down and began to crowd the right shoulder a little in preperation to make a U turn at the next intersection. Apparently the kid in his Cadillac STX didn't like the 4x4 in front of him going so slow and decided to pull into the opposite lane, romp on the gas and pass me.................just as I began to make my turn. The front passenger corner oh his car first grazed my rear driverside door and ran down the side of my Jeep till it hit the front wheel and basicly became wedged into the wheel well. This is where the real force of the impact occurred. He hit the Jeep so hard that it sheered my roof rack off, and high lift jack and all went into his windshield. He pushed the Jeep almost 30 feet past the intersection, and both of his airbags depolyed.

Thank God himself that no one was even slightly hurt. Even with his airbags deployed he didn't even have a mark on his face. Kinda tells ya how far back he had his seat. He turned out to be a decent kid, admitted to the police officer that he was speeding and gave what I think was a sincere apology before he left.

I went over to my wounded buddy and looked under it to assess the suspension damage. The real hard impact occurred when he got to the front wheel. I expected the entire front suspension to be a mess.

The tire and steel wheel.............smoked. Basicly everything right behind the wheel looked pretty well done too. OEM Tie rod... bent. Yada Yada Yada. I quickly noticed that everything that was broken or bent was painted black. Everything painted gray looked just fine. A standing ovation for the quality of Rubicon Express components.

The next time you read a thread about someone wondering if RE's stuff is worth the extra money, just tell'em to stand some RE stuff up and put the other stuff right next to it and run a Cadillac into them about 40 mph. From now on, at least to me, it's a non-decision. Every Jeep I own will have a Rubicon Express lift.

Re: AAh! The Unthinkable. A standing Ovation for RE.

As the owner of a rubicon express lift, this is great news to me. But I would really like to see some pictures of the damage... just to see how things held up. I hope this is not 'too soon' as Im sure you're still mourning the damage to your baby!

It was towed and is going to my buddy's shop. I'm gonna try to get there before the adjuster does in the morning and get some pics. They plan on starting work on it as soon as the adjuster walks out the door.

Right now I'm trying to stuff 10 gallons of $#!7 into my 5 gallon life and this probably couldn't have picked a worse time to happen. I definately will try to post some pictures. If nuthin else i'll follow up with the official list of damage.

Glad to hear everybody is safe

now lets see some carnage pics ;)

Glad to hear everyone was okay. Great testimonial to RE's stuff tho. Best of luck to you with the repairs!

Re: AAh! The Unthinkable. A standing Ovation for RE. II

thats pretty crappy. RE does make some really good stuff huh, guess ill be ooking into them more...got any pics of the ol buddy

Re: A testimate to the quality of Rubicon Express products

im sportin a 5.5 re xd lift and reading this makes me feel even safer in my beast. (between the heavy bumpers and sliders, i felt pretty safe already)

happy to hear you and your rig are ok :cheers:

Well. The XJ is dead. The entire front end needs to be replaced. The adjuster totaled it out and now I'm just waiting for a call from the total loss department. Looked for another XJ, but really didn't see any i was too impressed with. Unfortunately I've gotta get some wheels under me kinda quickly. I've found a 2001 TJ that looks like a winner. I used to belong to a buddy of mine, so I know it's history.

CJ's98XJ will be changing to CJ's01TJ and coming to another web site near you.

Thanks guys. I learned a lot here.

Chris

That sucks. I'm in the process of starting from scratch my self because some jacka$$ crashed into me. Not fun, and you never get what you put in. Sorry to hear that:bawl:

It sounds like maybe the accident was more your fault than his...he may have acted impulsively about shooting past you, but from the story as you told it, sounds like you made a bad decision as to when to make your u-turn. Maybe would've been better to wait until there was no traffic behind you to make the u-turn...Glad to hear that the only carnage was to is Cadillac and your XJ...too bad you couldn't find another. Best of luck with your move to the dark side....:D

Just maybe somehow it coulda been my fault, but the insurrance companies and the police officer seem to think otherwise. The other guy recieved several invitations to appear in traffic court. Following too closely, Failure to keep right and improper seat positioning. He only admitted to being a few mph over the limit, but just 1 is enough for you to lose your right of way. The cop warned him for him for the speed.

I'm not really sure exactly how you yield to a vehicle traveling behind you in your own lane, but thanks for the input.

The insurance company just cut my check for $4800. I was hoping for a little over $5000, but that was close enough. They let me go to the shop and take my bumper and a few other items off, so I guess I can't complain.

I learned a whole lot from y'all and it definately influenced my work. Thanx.

There are waaaaaayyyyy too many sites for general Jeep stuff and TJ's. I'm gonna have a hard time finding one I enjoy as much as NAXJA!

Later!

CJ's01TJ

if it's any help to you at all, most if not all of your suspension parts on the front of your XJ can be used on the TJ. so all you have to do is buy whatever parts you need for the back to match the front. so basically 1/2 a lift kit. so sell your XJ rear lift parts, and there's your money for your TJ rear parts. and there are plenty of used TJ lift parts to be found online.

and next time try to get your buddy and other jeep friends to help you out, and keep your jeep. i'm sure you could have taken some of the stuff off of the estimate to keep it just a tad under total, and still made it work.

i know how you feel. my wifes been in several street brawls with other vehicles attacking her, and i always take it back home and fix it.

and just this past weekend i entered my XJ at ice races and ended up rolling it around 50ish mph. drove it home and with 5 of my buddies we pulled it in my shop and fixed it with various used, mis-matched colored parts that friends donated and of course their help.

My goal was to eventualy have a TJ...........parked right next to my XJ. I'm pretty sure I coulda fixed it if I bought it from the insurance company. My bigest enemy right now is time and I can't have a busted up vehicle siting around "until I can get to it".. I'm basicly in the middle of a move, have a work schedule that is insane right now and I needed a set of wheels under me pretty quick.

The new jeep is up 6 1/2" and on 35's and geared. It was never beaten, only been wheeled twice. It was owned by a buddy of mine and I know the shop that did the gears and some other work. He sold it to another guy and he just about never drove it and was willing to part with it for what he owed. As soon as these tires wear out I'm gonna drop it to 4 1/2" buy some 33's and gear it back down some I need a little moe friendly of a commuter wagon. Or maybe just find a used little 4 banger pick'em up truck for Home Depot runs and work.

Well glad you got a set of wheels under ya....i have another story ....going down the main street of my town...old lady pulls out and stops in my lane.... i hit her doin about 30 ...raining....tboned...not pretty ...her car....done for but mine i was runnin 4.5 RE lift with long arm kit on 33s the only thing that happened to my xj is the lower control arm mount snapped off the axle....that was it...suspension and everything else from RE amazing and still in one peice....that was about 2 years ago...its been up and running....until a week before christmas...my dad was goin hunting...hit a lil gravel, sucked off the road and flipped my xj doin about 50.....my beast is dead....i have a new cherokee and just waiting for the weather so i can swap all the parts....YES i have total faith in RE parts....t boned a caddy....and then flippin the xj....and still parts are fine?!?!? Gotta thank the guys At RE amazing parts!~ Chris

yo man why dont u buy the xj back???? front axles are cheap.....

Back