• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Someone tried to steal my Jeep

1985xjlaredo

NAXJA Forum User
Well this is what they did.
Jeep1.jpg

Jeep2.JPG
Jeep3.JPG

I have never had this done to me before, so I dont really know what to do. They busted the key hole up and Can't turn the Key. When I cam out of work to find it like this it was running with the key in the Lock position and I couldn't turn it off, I couldn't turn the key at all. What is that metal piece that is twisted out of the column? HOw did they get it to run with out the key being in the run postition? Help

i hate F^&*in theives. The exact same thing happened to me. In youre pic, the middle shaft where the column is broken, i guess, can be pulled towards the driver to start the car. I dont know how to describe it better. My ignition lock was destroyed too. My best advice to you is to buy a whole new column at the junkyard, but make sure you have the keys with it because it is expensive ot have keys made to fit the new column. Sorry about that. You would think that those bastards would do something constructive with their time.

The GM column that was used in these is way easy to break into. Back at the dealer I used to fix a couple of these a week. They would steal at least one a month from the dealer's lot.

The column will need to be disassembled and the rack for the ignition switch replaced. It looks like you were victimised by true amateurs, those are the worst. You can do the work yourself and the parts are readily available, like I said, lots of these columns get broken into.

The pieces you see transfer the rotary motion of turning the key to a linear one and transmit it down to the ingition switch, which lives on top of the column, down low. You need a steering wheel puller and lock plate depressor and a pivot pin pulling tool, a 10-32 screw I think, and washers will get you by. There are lots of pieces, and they are kind of a pain until you get the hang of doing them, nothing too hard though, if you are careful and find an exploded view, you can fix it yourself.

Is yours a V6 or 2.5?

x2 on the above posts. Price out the parts then check with the junk yard. If you get a used one without keys replace the key lock ($15.00) rather that having a key made. It's not that hard.

Like jk333 said, just go to a salvage yard, at the bigger yards you can find almost any trim type. I had to replace my column a few years ago because the rods were worn out. So like too many people do, I brought it to the Jeep dealer. Then, 130$ quote later, I was told by the loser at the desk that a "new" column would cost me 750$. So, being a mechanic myself I talked to the tech working on my XJ. The guy was nearing retirement and he told me that the column they would get for it would be from a SALVAGE YARD anyways! So, he did me a favor and told me were the yard was and I went and picked it up for 50$! It only took a half hour to replace! IMHO, doing buisness with dealers (unless your ordering parts) is like throwing money away.

Hey Man If you decide to repair the current ( it looks those mf's really did a butcher job) or just replacing it . Might as well go thru all the fastners, screws etc. ( like the tilt column knuckle in particular ) so You are certain everything is in order.
Good Luck .Glad to see you still own 1 ;)

Well Thanks for all the posts and info. I think that I will Just replace the whole column. It looks like to much work to get the other one apart. I'm just worried that I will get some worn out POS from a Junk yard.
What wiring issues will I have when I do this? I'm going to start calling every Junk yard for this part. Does anyone know if a 84-86 First Gen will mate up with the 87-90 Second Gen? Thanks Again guys

When you get it fixed. Goggle for a 80's GM steel colar. It works like a steering wheel lock except it goes around the area they bust to get at the rod inside the steering wheel.

Yea I found one on eBay I will defiantly have to put one of those on there and paint it the color of my interior. Hopefully I can get it all back together and the idiot will come back to try to get it again only Ill be watching, when I catch him Ill throw his ass off a bridge into the Missouri River! Oh and I found a new column for $125.00 should be here by Friday :)

outlander said:
look into installing a fuel pump cut off switch too....
Yea and I was thinking of doing a Master Power Switch also. I wish that I could wire something up where if you didn't press a special hidden switch the steering wheel would give you a strong jolt, that would be great.

ya if u go to projectxj.com they tell u how to put in a kill switch and if u hide it a little u just turn the fuel pump off every time u get out of your jeep and then no one can take it.

my jeep was stolen from the airport while i was on vacation last summer, they trashed the hell out of it, it was recovered after 6 months in the saddest condition you could imagine, the filthy dirtbag ground mcdonalds and trash into everything and put his/her cigarettes out on my CB radio and the list goes on...why do people have to steal other peoples stuff. Low life %$#^@#^#$%@#$%!!!!

mbiker72 said:
my jeep was stolen from the airport while i was on vacation last summer, they trashed the hell out of it, it was recovered after 6 months in the saddest condition you could imagine, the filthy dirtbag ground mcdonalds and trash into everything and put his/her cigarettes out on my CB radio and the list goes on...why do people have to steal other peoples stuff. Low life %$#^@#^#$%@#$%!!!!
Wow that is bad. Did they catch the guy who did it?
Am I going to run into any problems when I do the column swap? Any good threads on this topic? I searched and didnt get much

My coworker's 93 was stolen last week and they ran it into a house(hit the ac meter, but didn't get electrocuted, damnit). The sucky thing is she loved that Jeep and her dad gave her his camry/avalon and he got a newer car. Definitely install a kill switch, as xjs are about as easy as it gets for thieves.

I think the column is fairly common throughout the Renix era, so you should be safe with a second gen. unit.

on the bright side, your charging system looks fine and your oil pressure is fine as well:roll:

Same thing happened to me. Does your high beam switch still work on the wiper control/turn signal arm? Also, where did you find your replacement steering column?

definatly go with a kill switch. as soon as we got my Jeep back we installed a $100 alarm with a kill switch built in. It sure gives me more peece of mind now. good luck with the column.

92xjsp said:
Same thing happened to me. Does your high beam switch still work on the wiper control/turn signal arm? Also, where did you find your replacement steering column?
car parts . com it is a used part network. I found 3 of them that were exactly like mine. Only found 1 that would match in Kansas City.

Back