• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2 more inches of headroom!!

c.kisner

NAXJA Forum User
:cool: my rig is a 00 cherokee non power seat. love my rig but being 6 2, my head was always within a 1/4 inch from hitting and i was always hitting. i was a little hesitant but went for it. i pulled my drivers seat out and looked at the stock seat cage. it seems that there is close to 2"s of unnecessary height. so i cut actuallly 1.75 inches out and welded them back together. also had to do a small amount of clearancing the hump where the transfer case sits. which had a ton from the bottomside.

sorry i didnt take any pics tho

:cheers:
C.Kisner

Nice! Heres one I just did. Remove the panel under your steering wheel. Behind it is a metal plate. Remove it also. Next where you have the left hand vent, cut that cover below the vent and reinstall the vent. You will gain a ton of knee room. The passenger side can also gain a little by removing the glove box and do the same thing to the vent pannel. You don't gain as much as the driver but it helps. I used my kids DVD player zip up bag and scewed it in the hole from the glove box and I have just as much storage. All the plastic underneath is black and it looks OK. I tucked up a few wires and removed some red antivibration felt to clean up the look. Nice improvement for me because I'm 6"2' also. I'd love to ditch that stupid center console.

I dont see why you couldnt. I also have power seat and it looks like the only prob would be the motors. Just make sure they do not rub the floor when the seat is all the way down.

I took the power seats out of my 96 and before I did I put it as far back and as low as I could.. I'm 6'4 but I still bump

Im 6'4, and dont have a problem in my 94 at all. I have seats from an 87 in there...with the huge side bolsters.

In my '01 however, I have heated, power, leather seats. And I think the seats are firmer, because I feel like I have more room in the cloth seat jeeps.. I need to pull my seat apart some to fix the heater element, and while Im at it, i wanted to see if I could mod the frame to lower it down. Not sure there is THAT much room...but with the seat adjusted all the way down, I want it to be too low. So I can use the elec. adj and make it higher. So there is wiggle room...

If the frame cant be modified, Im going to look into replacing the foam. Im going to make it more of a bucket, and use slightly firmer foam to make up for the removed material. Shouldnt be too hard to do....

J.

The older seats from 94 and back have the big sides on them and firm foam.but itook a 93 seat and removed al lthe frame b ydrilling out those rivets and made a super low custom tube frame from 3/4x3/4 square tube.Worked great.ill see if i can get some pictures of it.

I'm 6'4 also and I dont have a problem in my 89. I do keep my seat back tilted back alittle........are newer ones different?WTF do you guys sit up on the steering wheel or what??? You gotta have some ganster lean.....

well before this seat mod i had to do the gansta lean pretty bad, plus my 2 yr old had no leg room and was always kicking/pushing on the back of my seat. now i have my seat maybe two clicks back from vert. the 2yr olds pushing part is better. worked out well for me, and the forward/back seat sliding part still works fine. & before my tilt wheel was in the highest point, now its actually in the lowest. makes me feel kinda short now.
c.kisner:sunshine:

outlander said:
I'm 6'4 also and I dont have a problem in my 89. I do keep my seat back tilted back alittle........are newer ones different?WTF do you guys sit up on the steering wheel or what??? You gotta have some ganster lean.....

In my 94 with the 87 seats, I have that nifty little feature which allows the seat to sort of pivot... know what I mean? So I can have the seat back not so far down, and pivot the seat so that I have plenty of room, without the gangster lean.

The 97+ cloth seats seem to be softer and give me enough head room. The leather/power/heated ones in my 01 seem to be stiff, and sit up more. No matter how much I fiddle with the adjustments, I cant seem to get it right. The seat just doesnt allow me to "sink" in as much as the cloth ones. Overall, its my least favorite thing about my jeep right now. I love the plush feel that the leather seats give, Im just not as comfy as when Im in my beat up 94.

Ill be looking into what I can do once the weather gets better.

J.

ghettocruiser said:
In my 94 with the 87 seats, I have that nifty little feature which allows the seat to sort of pivot... know what I mean?

J.

yeah, the space ship seat option.......or at least that's what my daughter calls it

haha...good way to describe them! I LOVE that adjustment. On my jeep the back rest lever is really tough. Feels like you will break your fingers before it moves...so I never use it. Once you get the "space ship" adjustment to move, you can really get the seat in a nice position. haha.

J.

Back