• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ZJ disc to XJ conversion E-BRAKE

XJpoopbrown

NAXJA Forum User
my setup is all complete and on my rig its of a later 90's zj and currently on my 96 XJ, i had a couple ideas for hooking up the e-brake but i was just wondering what kind of ideas you guys had???

also it seems that most of my brake pressure is being sent to my front rotors and not the back, leaving the rear spinning??????
and ideas?

I was looking for information about swapping a ZJ axle with rear disc brakes into an XJ. Did you run into any issues with it?

From what little research I did(got the idea like last week) the ZJ came with rear disc brakes, limited slip rears, 3.73s and in some cases locking rear differentials.

slain said:
I was looking for information about swapping a ZJ axle with rear disc brakes into an XJ. Did you run into any issues with it?

From what little research I did(got the idea like last week) the ZJ came with rear disc brakes, limited slip rears, 3.73s and in some cases locking rear differentials.

why do you want to put a zj axle in? most of them had d35s right?? i dont see why to swap a 35, even if you have a 35 now. why take all that time to put another one in? unless you found a zj 44:dunno:

slain said:

All i did was take the zj's disc brakes and put them on my already build 8.25 with limited issues. only widening the backing plate whole to fit the xj 8.25, but that was about it.

tclapp_88 said:
why do you want to put a zj axle in? most of them had d35s right?? i dont see why to swap a 35, even if you have a 35 now. why take all that time to put another one in? unless you found a zj 44:dunno:

After I posted I did a little more digging and found out the ZJ have 35c and the ones with Dana 44s have aluminium hosings. That explains why no one ever swapped it.

If you got ZJ disks on a 8.25, then you have the same that I have. For e brake cables, you can do a couple of things:

1. Buy the Lokar ebrake adapter thingys.
2. What I did - Buy two Jeep Liberty (MJ) e brake cables. They are longer than the factory XJ ebrake cables so they are good for drooping/flex and they also hook RIGHT UP to the e brake levers for the ZJ brakes.

you can see in the pic that you will have extra cable slack:
discbrakes+006.jpg

slain said:
After I posted I did a little more digging and found out the ZJ have 35c and the ones with Dana 44s have aluminium hosings. That explains why no one ever swapped it.

haha okay, i was kinda shocked to hear someone wanting to swap the complete axle.

just for everyones reference, you can:

1. Order 2 KJ ebrake cables. Part # 52128510AG or
2. Order 1 KJ ebrake cable (52128510AG) and 1 drivers size ZJ cable (part number unknown right now)

djblade311 said:
just for everyones reference, you can:

1. Order 2 KJ ebrake cables. Part # 52128510AG or
2. Order 1 KJ ebrake cable (52128510AG) and 1 drivers size ZJ cable (part number unknown right now)

thanks for the info.:thumbup: i will save this thread for when i actually do the conversion.

I read in the Eric Zappe book that after a conversion to ZJ or Terraflex rear disc brakes, the stock 15" wheels (with 5.25" backspacing)will not clear the calipers, so one must change to wheels with 4.5" or less backspace.

When I mentioned this to the Parts guy at a dealership, he said that Liberty rear discs will allow stock wheels. Can anyone confirm this?

The ZJ discs fit fine on the stock 15" wheels w/5.25" backspacing that I have. I snagged the zj e-brake cables and used a 6" threaded rod w/ threaded coupler to extend that e-brake bracket further back since the zj's steel cables are about 3-5 inches shorter(I posted a pic 2 weeks ago if you search). I would just go with the KJ cables and be done with it. I also swapped out the prop valve spring(zj's is 1/2" shorter than xj's, if you want to cut it down).

Back