• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ground hawg tires,anybody use them?

markaboo929

NAXJA Forum User
It's that tax time of the year again to get some new tires for the heep and I am wondering if anybody has had ground hawg tires.I have read on line that they will last a looong time like up to 70,000 miles or so and also that they are so stiff that using them in the rocks is'nt great,but if they we're at stupid low psi (8 ?) that they should flex some?:dunno:

JP or Petersen's just did a shootout of a couple of huge tires and the included the ground hawgs. From what they said they seemed surprised by them. (as in the tires did better than expected) But also this was a 44+'' tire so...
Also just from looking at them..it doesn't seem like they would do all that well on the street, they more seem like a tire for an all mud truck.

Chris

GroundHawgs are an old standard...they are pretty good general offroad tires and they last a long time...they are not the best in mud because they will pack up...dont know about rock crawling...but they are directional and if you run them on the road, it can get tricky come tire rotation time because if you plan on cross rotation, they will have to be dismonted and remounted when you cross sides.

I have had very good luck with Interco TrXus MT tires. I run 31's and they flex fairly well. In the summer I run them at 12-15 on the trails with out beadlocks and I was just running them in the snow at 8 psi. So far I have 25-30k on them and they have a lot of life left except the inside of what were the front. My alignment was way off for about 6k miles. They are great on the highway for a mud tire and are a good all around off roader. I had ProComp MT's before and they didn't stick as well on rocks or clean out as good in the mud. The TrXus tires are a great cheap alternative.

Ground Hawgs are way old-school. Super hard rubber compound, thus the high-mileage, but crappy traction on rocks and roots. The only way I would consider running them is if I got a steal of a price, and then I'd spend some time with a grooving iron to open up the center tread blocks. The biting edges of the factory tread are few and far between.

markaboo929 said:
It's that tax time of the year again to get some new tires for the heep and I am wondering if anybody has had ground hawg tires.I have read on line that they will last a looong time like up to 70,000 miles or so and also that they are so stiff that using them in the rocks is'nt great,but if they we're at stupid low psi (8 ?) that they should flex some?:dunno:
My friend had 35" Ground Hawgs on his old beater Powerwagon. One went flat and he didnt notice.. untill he got firewood..it had been just riding along at 0 psi. They did well in the mud and were almost indestructable offroad.

I think the newer ground hawgs are different then the old ones. I ran the 38.5's and they were the softest tire I've ever run. They lasted less then 5000 miles. The sidewalls are super thin and the 38.5's weigh 75lbs each VS a TSL 38.5's which weighs 89 lbs (gives you an idea the difference in the ammount of rubber).

They were easy enough to groove to get a better pattern but personally I won't ever buy them again unless it is the 44's for a snow tire.

i was kinda weary on them cause interco took over them from denman tire-ALL interco tires I would NEVER again run on the street-got some thorn turds for dirt cheap-learned the hard way:twak:

The only thing I didn't like about them was they ONLY come in wide treads. On a small pickup that means less traction (unless I'm always running loaded) with far more hydroplaning on wet streets and fughedaboud snow driving!

markaboo929 said:
ALL interco tires I would NEVER again run on the street-got some thorn turds for dirt cheap-learned the hard way:twak:

I have not run Interco tires, but come on....you're judging the entire line by Thornbirds???????:nono: Well, then there is the STS, but you get the point. Trxus M/T's are supposed to have good road manners, as well as the STS- which is about only good for road and sand.

91Woody said:
I have not run Interco tires, but come on....you're judging the entire line by Thornbirds???????:nono: Well, then there is the STS, but you get the point. Trxus M/T's are supposed to have good road manners, as well as the STS- which is about only good for road and sand.

Judging Interco tires by Thornbirds is like judging Starbucks coffee by the grounds in the trashcan!

IF you noticed I only stated ON THE STREET!!! by my exprience with the turds has made me think twice about running interco ON THE STREET!! not off road or else if i could afford 2 sets of tires-no question on boggers-but it is my daily driver-not knocking interco at all for OFF ROAD ONLY tires..............:paperwork

markaboo929 said:
IF you noticed I only stated ON THE STREET!!! by my exprience with the turds has made me think twice about running interco ON THE STREET!! not off road or else if i could afford 2 sets of tires-no question on boggers-but it is my daily driver-not knocking interco at all for OFF ROAD ONLY tires..............:paperwork

The point is that some, in particular the Trxus MTs are fine on the road. I have them and they are soft but are wearing well. They are the quietest MT I've ever heard and are EXCELENT in the snow. They hold there own in rain and aren't noticable other than the faint humm on dry pavement.

markaboo929 said:
what kind of mileage and how are they wearing?I need some new tires in a 33 x 12.50 15 size and do mostly rock and some mud here in NC,but it is my DD.

If you're talking to me, I haven't had them on long enough to really offer much in the wear department. I've pry got a little over 1k on them and they look like they haven't worn at all though for what it's worth. I don't really wheel a whole lot. MAYBE once a month. I drive 100 miles to school and don't mind them one bit. Excelent offroad for not a devoted Swamper and excelent on road for an MT. I highly recommend.

I have around 25-30k on my TrXus MT's and they still have a lot of life left. I'm thinking they will get changed out at around 45-50k for another set. They do take a bit a weight to balance but they are quiet on the street. The hairs on the side lasted for about 2500 miles with a lot a mud and rocks involved trying to wear them off. These tires really need a review by a Magazine in one of the tire test just to show off how good they are.

The tread must work because they are now making a Comp Version
http://www.intercotire.com/site.php

great that sounds good i will go with those then,thats all i need to do is have someone post there mileage and that suits me fine!!! just one more thing where to get the best price on those now-33 x 12.50 15 swamper trxus mt:yelclap:

If you wait around 4WheelParts occaisionally has free shipping on everything. At Xmas time they had this as well as 10% off and I got my 31s to my door for $460.

Back