• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front driveshaft swap

Eric85

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 85' with a weird CV on the front driveshaft that looks almost like a pop can. Has anyone swapped out this style for a normal u joint, if so what did you use for a yoke?

Eric85 said:
I have a 85' with a weird CV on the front driveshaft that looks almost like a pop can. Has anyone swapped out this style for a normal u joint, if so what did you use for a yoke?

Go to the yard and pick up a front yoke from a NP231 and a front shaft. It should sub over.

I have an '86 with the NP207 and I used the front output yoke off the NP231 to replace the flange yoke on the NP207. It has the same spline count as well as spline engagement so (at least for me) no modifications of the front output shaft on my NP207 were necessary. The front output seal is also the same as the NP231 for future parts searches to help prevent confusion from idiots at the dealer who think the NP207 is a cast iron t-case. The front shaft you pull off a cherokee will need to be shortened from 4"-6".

Don't know, never counted them.

I guess if you are in doubt, call Tom Woods DS speciallists and order a front yoke for your T-Case.
I would not run a TW ds on your setup if you have an automatic, because the Trans pan will interfere.

Back