• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Water pump bad?

HeadCase

NAXJA Forum User
Well, my wife came home in the xj on Saturday, and it proceeded to puke a ton of coolant onto the ground. I refilled it and let it get up to temp (idling in driveway), no leak.

Took it to work today, and on the way home (up at operating temp), it proceeded to puke more coolant onto the ground. It appears to be coming from the weep hole, and quite a bit comes out.

'95 auto w/120k miles.

I assume it's the water pump? This a good guess?

Any recommendations on new pumps, dealer, autozone, napa, etc.?

Anyone found a good deal on a high volume?

Thanks!

I had the same problem with mine at 103k miles. I got the pump at Autozone. They list three different pumps with three different prices. I went for the more expensive one as it was a name brand and I had never heard of the others. Sorry, I don't remember the brand name. I think it was about $59.00.
Make sure and pull the electric fan before trying to remove stuff. It sure makes it alot easier. Also, if you haven't replaced the thermostat yet this would be a good time.

I just replaced mine Advance auto parts carried a pump made by ASC. I found the most info on it so thats what I went with after getting a high flow model from napa with the plate broken off right outta the box. Then I tried to get a flowkooler from quadratec they sent the wrong one so a stocker went back in. People recommended www.catpep.com for a cheap high flow, but the only one with a different and good impellar design was hesco but they cost an arm and a leg

My 98 was doing the same thing, so i changed the water pump, only to find that it was my lower hose that wasnt seating well due to some wear. so new hoses all around and no more problems. water pump is a cheap job and easy too, so while your there look real close at thoses hoses

Back