• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Antenna cable repair

Hypoid

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
I'm not turning up much where ever I look.

Someone cut the antenna cable where it plugs into the radio. I don't want to dig around the dash if I can find a replacement plug to go in the radio. I don't want to spend $20 on some adapter cable that I'd still have to cut and splice in.

Does anyone know where to find just a repair plug for an '89 Waggy?

If I remember correctly there is a standard antenna plug behind (near the top) of the passengers side kick panel (or there abouts), then there is 2-3 foot long antenna cable (patch cable) that runs up behind the radio.

No big deal to put on male or female car radio antenna plugs. Two types one is for soldering the other is either a clamp or a screw.

8Mud said:
If I remember correctly there is a standard antenna plug behind (near the top) of the passengers side kick panel (or there abouts), then there is 2-3 foot long antenna cable (patch cable) that runs up behind the radio.

No big deal to put on male or female car radio antenna plugs. Two types one is for soldering the other is either a clamp or a screw.

Not sure about the 89 but my 92xj does have the plug behind the pass kick panel. You would still need to run the wire but that I think beats the other option.

8Mud said:

That's the ticket! I've tried Radio Shack, Best Buy, and another local installer. I'm running out of local shops to try.

Do you have an internet source for these?

No sorry, I've got an old Turkish guy with a half dozen of everything in his tiny shop that I use. I use Conrad Electronics for online orders ( I really don't know if they are in the US or not).
Radio Shack really should have that connector both male and female, with the screw type (solderless) connection. I'm thinking the salesperson is to lazy to look. Likely the tech in the repair section has some, ask him.
Another likely source may be an electronics repair shop.
It may be easier just to buy a three foot auto radio extension cable and do it that way from the plug behind the kick panel. It really shouldn't cost more than $5.

Back