• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

high pinion low pinion

jk333

NAXJA Forum User
so i know some things about hp's and lp's. hp=reverse cut gears, lp=standard cut gears. hp=more clearance, lp=less clearance. but looking at a front end like the Dana 30, why did they even make an lp. Is it for a passenger side drop on other makes or what? :dunno:

jk333 said:
so i know some things about hp's and lp's. hp=reverse cut gears, lp=standard cut gears. hp=more clearance, lp=less clearance. but looking at a front end like the Dana 30, why did they even make an lp. Is it for a passenger side drop on other makes or what? :dunno:

CJs are passenger drop LP.

No you cannot just flip a LP and call if an HP,it doesnt work that way!

jk333 said:
why did they even make an lp. Is it for a passenger side drop on other makes or what? :dunno:
They switched to a LP axle for a couple reasons. I believe one reason is because the TJ also uses the exact same LP30, using one axle instead of two different ones probably saved DC a whole lot of money. I also believe it is because they changed the design of the headers for the 2000 model and the downpipe for the exhaust needs more clearance.

Because it's cheap. One ring and pinion set for front and back means less stuff to warehouse, store, approve, design, etc., etc. At that time nothing ran a Dana 30 axle but that is where it comes from in general - old old tech. Whatever, you get the idea.

The XJ was suppoed to get killed off in ~1999-2000 but sales were high and it could still squeak through emmisions so D-C just took the TJ axle and swung that under it. Whether it was a cost saving measure directly or because the HP30 contract with Dana was done and too expensive to renew, I dunno.

Root Moose said:
Because it's cheap. One ring and pinion set for front and back means less stuff to warehouse, store, approve, design, etc., etc.

*blink*

Find me a rear 30. :)

EricsXJ said:
They switched to a LP axle for a couple reasons. I believe one reason is because the TJ also uses the exact same LP30, using one axle instead of two different ones probably saved DC a whole lot of money. I also believe it is because they changed the design of the headers for the 2000 model and the downpipe for the exhaust needs more clearance.

It had nothing to do with TJ's... If it did they would have changed years earlier when they started to make ZJ which are low pinion also.

You did get the real reason right. They changed to a LP D30 in 2000 because the new header and downpipe design needed more clearance.

cal said:
*blink*

Find me a rear 30. :)

vetteboy said:
Used briefly in some Jeepster/Commando models, and also many Volvos had one.

:D

High pinion gear sets are reverse spiral, not reverse cut, not reverse rotation.

And we have a Winner!!!!party1:

so if it needs more clearance from headers/pipe, does that mean if i do a swap to my 2000, i need to move some stuff around? or since i'm lifted 5" it does not matter?

330LICIOUS said:
so if it needs more clearance from headers/pipe, does that mean if i do a swap to my 2000, i need to move some stuff around? or since i'm lifted 5" it does not matter?

You'll have to flex it and see. You should have 2"-3" bumpstops with 5" of lift so it shouldn't be an issue.

Back