• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

changed steering pump, new noise

Brian Strickland

NAXJA Forum User
it's a 2000, i changed the power steering pump, bled it correctly, put a new belt on and now it sounds like a "whirling " noise that maches rpm up to about 4th gear. it sounds like a turbo sort of. i can't duplicate the noise with a stethescope, it will only make it under a load while driving. I'm pretty sure it's not any of the accessories or pullies, it wasn't making noise until i put the new pump and belt on. any ideas? i searched and someone else had identical problem but it was never resolved. i don't have a belt tension gauge, ijust tightened it until the squealing stopped. btw it's a napa reman pump and napa belt.-Brian

"btw it's a napa reman pump" The answer is obvious to me because I have had very bad luck with NAPA. Also make sure your fluid level is not too full. Try in the driveway with the cap off.

Brian Strickland said:
it's a 2000, i changed the power steering pump, bled it correctly, put a new belt on and now it sounds like a "whirling " noise that maches rpm up to about 4th gear. it sounds like a turbo sort of. i can't duplicate the noise with a stethescope, it will only make it under a load while driving. I'm pretty sure it's not any of the accessories or pullies, it wasn't making noise until i put the new pump and belt on. any ideas? i searched and someone else had identical problem but it was never resolved. i don't have a belt tension gauge, ijust tightened it until the squealing stopped. btw it's a napa reman pump and napa belt.-Brian

Turn it lock to lock 4 or 5 times, but don't hold for very long at lock. It sometimes takes awhile to purge all of the air bubbles out.

I too had very bad luck with Napa power steering pumps. It took me 3 tries to get one that worked. First one was a bitch to turn the wheel from a dead stop, the second whined like a turbine, like yours. The third one finally worked like it was suppose to.

The Napa belt was also too long and stretched beyond adjustment range within 3 days. I returned it and bougth an OEM serp belt from the dealer, which has worked fine ever since.....

Ivan said:
I too had very bad luck with Napa power steering pumps. It took me 3 tries to get one that worked. First one was a bitch to turn the wheel from a dead stop, the second whined like a turbine, like yours. The third one finally worked like it was suppose to.

The Napa belt was also too long and stretched beyond adjustment range within 3 days. I returned it and bougth an OEM serp belt from the dealer, which has worked fine ever since.....

so do you think i have a bad pump? it has no problem steering lock to lock.

Brian Strickland said:
so do you think i have a bad pump? it has no problem steering lock to lock.

Well, at this point, your pump sounding like a turbine can't be good or something you'd want to put up with. I replaced my pump the first time because it sounded like a turbine whine.

I say return it for another one. Besides, by the second or third time through, you should be able to swap it out in less than an hour....

Back