• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

CB radios?

94XJ2door5speed

NAXJA Forum User
I really don't know much about CB's other than most of the local groups require them. So what is the difference between the $40 cobra from walmart and the really nice classic looking ones from radio shack for $150? I'm a firm believer in you get what you pay for so there has got to be a difference. On antenna lenght as well? i know there is a certain point where it no longer effective but what is the average? Wanna buy one but need some guidance.

the more expensive ones just have more bells and whistles the cheap ones will do fine i belive more height will give more distance as far as antennas go. truckstops have a rather extensive selection of cbs and there may be a cb shop nearby to answer questions or just ask some truckers they are usually helpful

94XJ2door5speed said:
I really don't know much about CB's other than most of the local groups require them. So what is the difference between the $40 cobra from walmart and the really nice classic looking ones from radio shack for $150? I'm a firm believer in you get what you pay for so there has got to be a difference. On antenna lenght as well? i know there is a certain point where it no longer effective but what is the average? Wanna buy one but need some guidance.

In the long run... nut much.

The difference in cost is brand and features.
I recomend a basic radio with a RF gain control like this unit http://www.uniden.com/products/productdetail.cfm?product=PRO520XL

The rest is looks, and extra features you may never use.
A Weather radio feature is nice, but, the other junk they throw in to cover that was never that big of a deal to me.

You can't go with "You get what you pay for" in the small electronics game, especially the CB radio purchase department. The more you pay, the more "Bling" you get.

The basics are the same. 4 watts transmit, same reciever specs, a microphone to talk into, and speaker to hear with.

Antenna location and design will be where your install succeeds or fails.
If you want it for off-road use, I recomend a "Short" antenna of a baseload design mounted where you will not brush it off on the nearest embankment.
Cowl or roof work well. Magnet mounts and gutter mount antennas don't work too well.

Make sure that once you have the radio and antenna installed, that you "Tune" the antenna to the channel you will most likely be using most of the time.

I use a Larsen Antenna, cowl mounted to the left fender lip, with that Uniden radio I mentioned in the above link on the XJ, and a Barjan bottom load antenna and that same Uniden Radio in the link above. Both work well. Both the Larsen and the Barjan are bottom loaded with a 24" or so inch whip.

Ron

Zuki-Ron said:
http://www.uniden.com/products/productdetail.cfm?product=PRO520XL

The rest is looks, and extra features you may never use.
A Weather radio feature is nice, but, the other junk they throw in to cover that was never that big of a deal to me.

You can't go with "You get what you pay for" in the small electronics game, especially the CB radio purchase department. The more you pay, the more "Bling" you get.

Ron

Does that also apply for radar detectors?

For club trail riding use, just about any radio will be fine. The better radios will get you more distance, assuming they are matched with a correctly installed and tuned quality antenna. Whatever combination of radio and antenna you acquire, make sure to get it tuned for minimum SWR (Stadning Wave Ratio), otherwise you can damage your transmitter.

The small Cobra, Uniden, or Midland CB's will do just fine for the trails. Extra $ gets you more switches and knobs, but no extra performance (unless you get into the illegal export type radios).

Try www.firestik.com for antenna mounting ideas. Keep in mind that trees and rocks like to grab antennas right of your Jeep. A 2-3 ft fiberglass antenna is your best bet.

RyanM said:
Some may say to search posts by Stumpalump :D
Now that good advise! Call Al, he is Sparky and he will send you a finly tuned radio for the same price as anybody but for some reason they just pound out and recive waaaaay better.
http://www.sparkyscbshack.com/home.html I'll get suspended again if I tell you more. Just tell him you want it for the woods on your Jeep and he will know what to sell you and how to tune it. He works with local 4X4 clubs and he won't sell you a channel 19 truck blaster but a smooth, clean, clear radio that will get you herd and get you hearing everthing. He has coax cable and antenna's with all kinds of mounts,he won't gouge you on shipping and gets the stuff out next day. He studders a little but he is the man when you need a radio that rocks!

Stumpalump said:
I'll get suspended again if I tell you more.

Suspend?
I vote BAN!

Not learning anything at all from the other thread, or your suspension, you provided the website of an admitted radio modifier, per the website. Also according to the website, he also sells (Illegal) import radios.

Zuki-Ron said:
Suspend?
I vote BAN!

Not learning anything at all from the other thread, or your suspension, you provided the website of an admitted radio modifier, per the website. Also according to the website, he also sells (Illegal) import radios.
Well I see the resident ham radio dork is crying because his licence does him no good on a 4x4 trail run. Ha ha. What do you ham dorks think about the pending legislation that will open up the first 20 somthing channels to hundreds of watts? Don't foget to jump all over the guys running high output headlights, and don't tell anybody I told you but I once read of a guy that actually removed his catalitic converter. Oh My! I think a read of an infraction of a lift law also. The horror! Might as well get those fellons running without a proper fender flair while your at it but please please don't report me for my cracked windshield. What a baby.

Back