• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fuel pump/sending unit

PacificEd

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
I put the 1988 Cherokee on the lift a few minutes ago and went to replace the o-ring with the dealer part I picked up last week. I was doing some cleaning before removing the ring and bumped the hard lines that enter the sending unit. They moved. I can wiggle them. I'm now guessing the o-ring is good and that fuel is seeping around the lines. I hate to fill the tank with fuel to check my theory. All sending units that I am familiar with have the lines soldered where they pass into the unit. Am I wrong? Should they be loose?

Is the fuel pump E7091S a good unit from Advance? I want to put a good one in and I see a lot of complaints on the Autozone brand.

How do I tell how big my fuel tank is? I've never tryed to fill it up because I know it leaks. I'm guessing 20 gallons would be standard?

i sell auto parts the same part number your describing is a airtex. advance, auto zone , pepboys all carry airtex pumps but may be in thier own box. only other company im aware of is carter.

Thanks for the information.

I answered my own question. The lines are supposed to be fixed and not move as I thought. I pulled the gas tank out of the parts Cherokee and figured it out.

Now I have to decide what to do.

1) Swap the pump/sending unit from the parts truck into my '88.

2) Swap the complete tank from the parts truck into my '88.

3) Buy a new pump/sending unit and install into the '88 tank.

Options 1 and 2 are the cheapest but I have no idea if the pump and/or sending unit are in working order. The truck has had some bad gas in it (not but maybe a gallon or two).

Option 3 would be best but getting that lock ting to spin has proven more difficult than I thought. I've tried the wooden dowel and it just doesn't want to budge. I guess I'm going to buy a brass punch next to see how that goes.

The upside is that with the Cherokee on the lift, everything is very easy to get to. Bonus.

Back