• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

MY JEEP is everywhere PLEASE HELP

Ameen Mo Fo

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 1992 xj with a 5.5in Rubicon lift kit with the upper and lower adjustable control arms, c-rock steering box brace. RE adjustable track bar and bracket. 6in RE pitman drop arm, RE Adjustable sway bar disconnects.

I'M HAVING A bad steering problem. when I'm on the highway i move around a lot, it pulls me right and left, i look like a drunk driver. it seems like i have to much "play" in the steering, i don't think it is the ball joints. what else could it be? I've done my alignment, i,ve done a new steering box with and steering shaft, I'm running 33" BFG M/T. what do you think it could be??? PLEASE...

WOAH 6 inch DPA !?!?!?!

there should be a worm gear on top of your steering box. loosen the nut, then tighten the gear with a he wrench, then tighten the nut down again. but make sure your nut is tight!!! this will get rid of the play in your steering wheel.

lets start at your hands.
-joint in the column (tilt column)
-steering shaft
-steering box
-steering box mounting surface/"frame"
-pitman arm TRE
-draglink TRE on pass. side knuckle
-both TREs on tierod.
-balljoints
-unit hubs (vibs, roaring, grinding, bad brakes, pulling brakes all common with hub issues)
-low tire pressures
-alignment issues
-tire size difference has also caused me wierd issues

these are most if not all things to check when hunting loose steering.

today i installed an RE trackbar+brace and a M.O.R.E. steeringbox brace. this cleared up almost all my steering play, the only remaining play is in my passenger side hub.

if youre not sure how to check these components we'll be glad to help

norcalchris said:
there should be a worm gear on top of your steering box. loosen the nut, then tighten the gear with a he wrench, then tighten the nut down again. but make sure your nut is tight!!! this will get rid of the play in your steering wheel.

not in every case. check all other components before hand. setting a recirculating ball box too tight can and most likely will damage it.

i have the same problem with my 99 and i found that it is my steering box even though u have a new one it could still mena something

and check your steering stabalizer for anything that might be blown..oil might be leaking and the whole stabalizer is probably crap.

Last edited:
I am running the same lift you are but I have an 1-1/4 spacer and 35x12.50's, and I have the same problem. I have done the following and nothing has worked.
replaced the steering box with an agr, put a new RE track bar in, checked my allignment, checked the caster.

I have been told by a few people that I may need to go long arm to fix this problem, could this be correct?

sqxj98 said:
I am running the same lift you are but I have an 1-1/4 spacer and 35x12.50's, and I have the same problem. I have done the following and nothing has worked.
replaced the steering box with an agr, put a new RE track bar in, checked my allignment, checked the caster.

I have been told by a few people that I may need to go long arm to fix this problem, could this be correct?

-take some scotch tape.

-one big tape string from front bumper mount to front bumper mount, make sure its tight, do the same ar various points down the frame.

-start truck. lay udner neath truck while on flat level ground on a surface that provides good grip, most parking lots will do.

-have another person turn the wheel repeatedly. the tape slackening and tightening shows the frame flexing.

a steering box mounting brace and an across frame tire in brace do wonders. a good beefy front bumper with sleeves only adds to it.

Cool thanks for the advice I will try that.
I am up for any more suggestions at this point.

I am also running the currie antirock swaybar, could this be adding to the problem?

sqxj98 said:
Cool thanks for the advice I will try that.
I am up for any more suggestions at this point.

I am also running the currie antirock swaybar, could this be adding to the problem?

i do not see how it would.

NVM

Back