• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Building of the Chapter!!

2xtreme

NAXJA Forum User
We had many conversations at NW Fest. And here is my nieve interpretation of the conversations (John took notes so he can correct me if my interpretation is WAY off). This is also the perfect time for some of you to start taking some responsibility and helping support our Club, Chapter, and Sport.

1. Trail Clean ups.
Matt (IXNAYXJ) and MOJOJOJO have both offered to help coordinate two official trail clean ups for our group. The idea is to support two formal trail clean ups that others have coodinated each year. Once we show the support that we need consistently then we can consider our own trail clean ups, and or adopting a trail or two.

2. Other formal events.
Currently we have 1 formal event a year (for 3 years now) NW Fest. There was talk about increasing this to 4 formal events per year. The 3 additional events that were informally voted on adding are as follows:
1. Noob run (similar to the Tahuya run earlier this year) designed for those with stock to 3" lifted trucks and/or little time behind the wheel off road. Could incorporate basic techniques, winching, trail etiquite, etc, etc.
2. Snow run (similar to many of the runs that I have put together in the past) very good for anything from stock to major modified rigs, very little likelyhood of body damage, fun for the whole family, but need to be very careful about planning and warm clothes, etc.
3. Spring run (open to any ideas). Probably to include trail leaders for multiple groups of varying capability.

So, to make this happen we need 2 people to offer their time and effort to plan 1 of these events each (I will offer to plan the Snow run this year). This would include advertising the event, setting the time/place, organizing meeting and activities, camping/day event, what ever need to happen to make it successful, safe, etc. We also need to coordinate required equipment for each event and signing of wavers etc (Phil and Mark we are going to need some help understanding other requirments).

3. More informal events.
We would like to see 1 informal event per month. Basically when you are going to go 4 wheeling, post up on the board so that others are aware and can join up. Make sure to keep in mind that even if it is a informal event you are still part of NAXJA and to protect it's reputation please be cautious of the activities that present themselves and that they are appropriate.

Please feel free to coment, sign up, take responsibility, etc.

Michael

Wow! Good job condensing babbling around a campfire and notes on a paper plate into a concise and thoughtful mission statement. Again, well done.

It seems like you covered all the main points. I have already begun researching trail clean-up ideas, and have been thinking about organinizing a Fall event. I know Evans Creek the best of any of our local trail systems, and I would be interesting in taking the reins for such an event.

I would also propose that *if* NW Fest isn't at Naches this next year, that we organize an official Naches event. I wonder if Howard would be interested in helping plan something...?

-----Matt-----

Great ideas, I have ABSOLUTELY no experience in this field AND I've never been to a NAXJA event or any other formal 4x4 event for that matter - except trail cleanups. I'd love to volunteer, but like I said - I have NO idea what to do.

There was also talk about monthly, informal meet and greets. Of course it would have to be local. (I can't see Portland guys driving up to Seattle for a Pizza) This does not even have to be anything special, just a chance for face time and fun between members.

If anyone remembers, Phil had a Breakfast meeting that a few attended. Something like that would be great.

Please feel free to add to this idea.

John

I wouldn't mind planning something out for a noobfest, if the spot hasn't been filled.

Maybe some sort of a Wrenchfest deal we could work up .

Lets keep the military membership deal up to par also.

Maybe a Canadian or Idaho wheeling trip?

12GaugeXJ said:
I wouldn't mind planning something out for a noobfest, if the spot hasn't been filled.

Maybe some sort of a Wrenchfest deal we could work up .

Lets keep the military membership deal up to par also.

Maybe a Canadian or Idaho wheeling trip?

I think you should get a Hyundai Tattoo so you'll fit right in in Vancouver, BC

:D

i am looking into the portland vancouver area clean up. also westernxj and i were thinking of planning a cpl of meet n greets / recruiting meetings for the portland vancouver area folks. here is a thought...i was thinking of a few runs for the portland and vancouver area folks kinda like what u guys are talking about but more local for us. i know alot of us won't want to travel 3-4 hours for all the events. maybe we could do our own snow, noob, sand, and spring runs down here. coordinated with you guys dates in mind as well. we do have a few areas that are pretty good. what do u think?

I haven't met much of the NWC members yet but with the direction it looks to be heading im sure that will change. I know im not a member yet but as soon as February rolls around I will. Im excited to here about the increase of monthly runs and formal runs wanting to be planned. Ever since Mojo's run in May it seems like the Portland area sprang to life. I think the trail cleanups are a fantastic idea. Let us give something back while giving our sport a good rep. I like the sound of a local Portland meet and greet as well. Congratulations on a successful NWF. Judging by the pictures it looks like you all had a great day of wheeling with little carnage. My Jeep was packed Friday night when I got the news from my brother that he decided to go to Seattle instead which meant I lost my ticket.

:thumbup: to all you!

TORX

Sorry to hear, it was alot of fun.

Maybe next time.

James

BTT.

For those of you who are not yet members or have not been on very many runs or met very many people in this group. We NEED your support by attending event and clean ups. I do not expect any of you to sign up for leading an event, but your comments, experience, and impresions are still VERY important for this group as a whole!!

12GaugeXJ, Sounds like you got the NOOBFEST run to plan.
I (2xtremexj) will start planning the SNOW RUN for this winter.
IXNAYXJ and MOJOJOJO have clean ups to plan (can you both work together to make sure they are seperated throughout the year?)

GIJohn, do you want to start a meet and great? How often do you guys want to do that, does someone have a good place in mind that is somewhat central? Does someone want to do the same thing in Portland? Need more imput on this subject!!! Is this something that we want to do as a group?

I like the other ideas mentioned as far as other trips, wrenchfest, etc. But lets tackle 1 or 2 things at a time and get them goeing. We can do as many informal things as we want. But the last thing we need to do is overwhelm anyone with trying to do everything as a "formal" event.

Keep the comments coming!! This is OUR club, What do you guys want to see from it!!

Michael

2xtreme said:
I like the other ideas mentioned as far as other trips, wrenchfest, etc. But lets tackle 1 or 2 things at a time and get them goeing. We can do as many informal things as we want. But the last thing we need to do is overwhelm anyone with trying to do everything as a "formal" event.

Keep the comments coming!! This is OUR club, What do you guys want to see from it!!

Michael

I have no problem hosting a "wrench fest", as long as we're not trying to regear a dozen axles in one day and somebody else is in charge of bringing beer. :)

J

Avanteone said:
I have no problem hosting a "wrench fest", as long as we're not trying to regear a dozen axles in one day and somebody else is in charge of bringing beer. :)

J

Guys need to take care of their host this time, too. ;)

I might be inclined to smoke a couple of pork shoulders if we get enough interest. :D

I'm in.
Not sure if i'll have somthing to do on my rig, but will gladly help others.

James.

I'm down for helping out where ever needed. I was hoping that someone would old another gear install class of some sort, need to match the front to the rear. Were you thinking of splitting up the more regular events, so no one has to drive far all the time. Different events for Oregon and Washington guys?

Working on getting a Walker Valley day set up. More info to come as I figure out the logistics. Anyone on the north end who's interested in a prerun to scout the trails let me know, I'm looking for a couple of other rigs to go with me.
Ryan

Blkxjkrawler said:
Working on getting a Walker Valley day set up. More info to come as I figure out the logistics. Anyone on the north end who's interested in a prerun to scout the trails let me know, I'm looking for a couple of other rigs to go with me.
Ryan

How far north is it from Seattle? Im down in Auburn, and would like to check the place out.

60 miles to Mount Vernon, and then about another 10 out to walker. Its just straight up I-5 out of seattle so it goes pretty quick, I just went down to Central 4wd last weekend and it took me about an hour and a half from there with little to no traffic. I'm still trying to talk to a DNR officer to see about current trail closures. I know Michael (2xtreme) had said he would be interested, and Phil and GI John expressed interest when I talked to them last weekend. So we might be able to get a pretty good group up here. I just want to make sure there is enough open and passable to make it worth everyones drive.
Ryan

Back