• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Help! I'm suffering from withdrawl!!

88manche

NAXJA Forum User
So heres what happened. i got stuck and tore up my clutch on a wheeling trip. Bought it home, and took the trans out. Now, I'm putting the new clutch back in. If your wondering, 2.5L, AX-5.

Heres the problem. No matter how hard we try, we CAN NOT get the trans to mate up. I've aligned it several times, greased everything, and we have 3, 4.5 inch long long guide bolts, 2 on the sides, and one on top to line everything up. Spline count on the shaft and spline count on the clutch disk are the same. The input bearing/bushing/whatever you want to call it DOES fit over the smooth part of the shaft. Theres nothing blocking the belhousing from mating up with the block. What do you guys think is happening?

I'm suffering from withdrawl. I miss the bumpy as hell, loud and higher up than everyone else ride. I'm stuck driing a luxury car. :tears:

I feel your pain:rattle:

If I'm understanding correctly, maybe try having someone turn the trans. output to line up ALL the splines.

My wife demands to drive the XJ while snow is on the ground, and I'm forced to drive the Merc. Grand Marquis (airbag susp., traction controlled)

I forgot to mention that we've been turning the output shaft and trying to get the splines to line up.

Oh man. thats better than what I have. I actually like Grand Marq's. I'm driving a 1997 chrysler LHS.

Last edited:
did you test fit the clutch disc on the trans splines? i've frustrated myself for hours before realizing it didn't fit, even though the count is the same. also if you have grease packed in the cavity of the pilot bearing, it wont allow the snout to go in (grease doesnt compress)

85xj4dr said:
I forgot to mention that we've been turning the output shaft and trying to get the splines to line up.

Oh man. thats better than what I have. I actually like Grand Marq's. I'm driving a 1997 chrysler LHS.

I remember having this problem installing my tranny. Turning the output shaft wasn't helping until I realized that it helps to put the tranny in gear. :}

if the disk fits the input shaft and everything else is stock then pull the transfer case off of the tranny and then install the tranny. i had the same problem with mine it sounds stupid but it slid in like a loose hooker then just bolt up the case also makes it alot easier to handle.

cherokeedriver420 said:
if the disk fits the input shaft and everything else is stock then pull the transfer case off of the tranny and then install the tranny. i had the same problem with mine it sounds stupid but it slid in like a loose hooker then just bolt up the case also makes it alot easier to handle.

Thats what I'm probably gonna do tomorrow. How hard was it to put the T-case back in after you bolted the trans up?

85xj4dr said:
Thats what I'm probably gonna do tomorrow. How hard was it to put the T-case back in after you bolted the trans up?
Easier than bolting up as a whole unit, less weight and bulk
Have fun:party:

Back