• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Lockout

Roryjeepster

NAXJA Forum User
So, I promise this has never happened before, but I've locked my keys in my jeep. I love it dearly, but since the two locksmiths I called were 90+ dollars I'm running out of options.

My insurance said they won't help until I update my policy, a 25 dollar charge immediately over the phone and an increased rate which I can't do currently.
My local police force has refused to aid in these situations.

So, after fiddleing with a coat hanger for the last three hours I'm holding a hammer and I'm ready to just bust out the small side window in the center. Would this be easy to replace? Would it cost much more over 100 dollars?

Any advice for getting into my Jeep, it's a 1998 Cherokee with automatic locks.

if you bust out the window still gonna cost $$ to repair, don't know how much, but if was me I would just call the locksmith if you have the money. Never locked my keys in the Jeep before so can't help ya there. When you do get in, make a spare key and keep it in your wallet thats what I do.

slid up under the back end of the jeep. look straight up at the floor immediately behind the bumper. you should see two studs with nuts, those hold the catch for the tailgate latch. if you take those nuts off you should be able to get the hatch open, crawl in through the back and you're in!

Along this same line of thinking, (getting into a locked vehicle) could Rory call the local Jeep dealership with his VIN and have a key made based on that? Assuming they know him and it's really his Jeep.

i locked my keys in once (or twice) luckaly my wing window latch is broken. all i had to do was take a hanger and grab the latch, pull up and open the window reach in and unlock the door, grab the key and quickly shove it in the door and disingage the alarm. needs to done realy fast at 3:00am

I've tried to jimmy it with a coat hanger, but I'm just not familiar with the inner working of the door, and I'm not sure where I'd have to grab to unlock it, or if I even can.

I bought my jeep used, I would assume that would be an issue, but I could try it.

I've tried to get to the two nuts behind the bumper, I can see them and they do look like they're for the mounting the rear door latches to. Unfortunately it's a very tight space and probably four or five inches up there, so there's not much room to get any tools to them. Any ideas?

Ten High said:
slid up under the back end of the jeep. look straight up at the floor immediately behind the bumper. you should see two studs with nuts, those hold the catch for the tailgate latch. if you take those nuts off you should be able to get the hatch open, crawl in through the back and you're in!

That there needs to be a sticky. That's some cool info there.

Gritts said:
Along this same line of thinking, (getting into a locked vehicle) could Rory call the local Jeep dealership with his VIN and have a key made based on that? Assuming they know him and it's really his Jeep.

you have to have some paperwork proving you're the owner, but it can be done-provided the locks have never been re-keyed.

I tried again loosening the nuts. They're on there pretty good. They've been there for ten years, so I guess I shouldn't have assumed it would be so easy.

try a local towing company, most do door unlocks, and usually way cheaper than a locksmith.

I had a friend who called AAA when he locked his keys in the minivan in the middle of nowhere. Guy shows up, shoves what looks like the guts of a blood pressure cuff between the upper corner of the door and the body and pumps it up. He inflates it just enough to get a gap to slide a coat hanger through and hit the unlock button on the door. He was there for less than 10 minutes and said AAA pays him $50 per job.

lawsoncl said:
I had a friend who called AAA when he locked his keys in the minivan in the middle of nowhere. Guy shows up, shoves what looks like the guts of a blood pressure cuff between the upper corner of the door and the body and pumps it up. He inflates it just enough to get a gap to slide a coat hanger through and hit the unlock button on the door. He was there for less than 10 minutes and said AAA pays him $50 per job.[/quote
call a friend that has AAA and your set..... I just helped a stripper get into her car the same way on friday ,exept me being in canada I use BCAA

impetus-93xj said:
I just helped a stripper get into her car the same way on friday ,exept me being in canada I use BCAA
What did you get in return? :D

haha some one busted my window out in my 98.. no fun cleaning up the glass I say dont break the window you be sorry. Im gonna go finish cleaning up and putting back my door.

ia green96 said:
That there needs to be a sticky. That's some cool info there.

or it could be some bad info depending on what is going on...but there is no one in this world that would use that info in bad way im sure. but for getting into a locked XJ that is good info, as long as its your xj.

Back