• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Knock/clunking coming from under drivers side Floor pan

mtn121

NAXJA Forum User
Okay I have a 92 xj 2 door auto. There seems to be a clunking noise coming from under the front drivers side. It only happens when you come to a complete stop or when your are taking off from a stop. When at a stop if you put it in nuetral it quiets down most times. I feel a vibratoin under my feet on the drivers floor board a little bit. When moving at higher speed there is no noise or vibratoin. Any ideas guys? Its like a vibrating clunking noise. Thanks

I had this, look under your jeep. Check between your exaust and your crossmember for your trans and t-case! It might look like it not touching but it does when you take off from the motor shifting! Good luck!

The shaft that runs from the front case to the middle feels like it has a little play in it at the transiton point with the grease fitting. It moves up an down a little bit. Should I try and grease it could that possible fix it?

It could be an upper or lower control arm bushing.

It would not be a upper or lower control arm if it vibrates under your feet! Check your exaust that goes above the crossmember. It makes contact there!

it could be as simple as a bad u-joint binding up if the noise follows axle speed. my g/f's jeep just went through 3 of them for some reason in the last year on her left front axle shaft and each time this noise was present and went away after i changed them.

I'm with Jeep8680 - I think your exhaust is hitting the cross-brace. Pretty common. Requires transmission mount IIRC to fix. Straight forward stuff. I was getting this at idle, as you've said. This is contacting the cross brace on the pass. side. Get a good light and take a look.

Back