• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tow Points!

Kejtar

PostMaster General
NAXJA Member
There are always safety concerns and requirements for all of our wheeling trips and they can usually be adressed very quickly with a trip to a store to pickup required items (like first aid kit, extinguisher, tow strap etc). An item that is very important that does require some planning and work ahead of time (if not present at the moment) is a proper tow point.

What is a proper tow point? A proper tow point is a tow point that can take about 1.5 times weight of your rig and or more. Why? Because if you're stuck you have to overcome whatever has you stuck plus the weight of your rig to get things moving. Why is that important? Last year I nearly got a heart attack when I was helping someone get over an obstacle and they were strapped and their towpoint was a bit.. well, how should I say it... inadequate. I saw the towhook that was mounted with a single bolt to a rather flimsy bracket shift and twist and rotate :eek:

So, lets go what's a good tow point:
1. Class III hitch: front and or rear. Good choice of a tow point.
2. Stock tow hook brackets with tow hooks: front and or rear. Keep in mind that the brackets (both front and rear) have a brace going sideways for side pulls. Withouth those braces, the tow point is inadequate.
3. Aftermarket bumper of sorts: front and or rear. Keep in mind that while the bumper itself might have a great tow point, the way it mounts to the body needs to be secure as well. For front bumpers mounting to the front three holes on each side of the clip is not really secure: I've seen bumpers mounted like that ripped off the body.

There are many other ways to mount a secure tow point to a rig and I'm not going to go through all of them. If you have a question about your tow point post up and folks will be happy (including myself) to offer comments and or advice if needed. Btw, this thread is not meant to exclude anyone from participation in an event. It's meant to promote safety of the participant as well as those around him/her. Keep in mind that a ripped off tow point during recovery is extremely dangerous and can injure and or kill (we have a member that got injured during a recovery of someone elses rig when a tow point failed during extraction).

So be safe, have fun and make sure that your tow points are adequate (btw, the fact that it worked once does not mean it's adequate: if you have questions about it post up or pm me).

Remi
P.S. I forgot to mention: suspension, steering and drivetrain components are not approved tow points. This includes but is not limited to: axles, suspension shackles, leafs, coils, trackbars, tierods.

ill take the blame for the guy ur talkin bout... that was me at calico... since then i learned and am saving for a nice new jcr bumper:)! thanks remi!

blackdoutxj said:
ill take the blame for the guy ur talkin bout... that was me at calico... since then i learned and am saving for a nice new jcr bumper:)! thanks remi!
:) no worries. As long as it's a learning experience it's all good. Though I gotta tell you: I wish someone took a pic of my face at that time. Supposedly I was beyond ghostly white ;)

blackdoutxj said:
ill take the blame for the guy ur talkin bout... that was me at calico...

Trust me, you are not the only one that has had tow point "problems".

This subject, as well as NAXJA requirements, will be brought up one more time before the event.

There will be a safety "inspection" before the run. Details will be posted a little later.

I have Rusty's tow hook brackets, and I'm gonna need to brace them. I've used them twice and they've bent both times...

Welcome to the world of Rusty's. He cheaps out and doesn't include the angle bracket. My recommendations are factory with angle bracket, Custom 4x4 fabrication which are a clone of the factory, or a good aftermarket bumper like AJ's, or something along those lines.

Jump This said:
Blah Blah blah.....wrap the damn strap around an axel if the dumb arse doesn't have a good tow point. Use thier strap!
:moon:
Axle is not considered to be considered as a proper recovery point. I do know of one axle that decided to leave the vehicle during such recovery......

didnt we have the same issue w/ a kid at calico when i ran it w/ yall? of course stopped the pulling much sooner.

i remember black xj w/ a bunch of yellow stuff and a very girly girl in the back playin on her cell phone?

ruggedjeep said:
See post # 2 ;)
I think she wanted to reiterate point #2 :D

I guess all it comes down to is safety safety safety...... It's all fun and games till something goes wrong. We had someone injured in Azusa as he was pulling out a rig and something snapped and he got clipped on the side of the head...

Anyways, I just bought synthetic line for my XJ cause my steel line got a bit messed up last couple times I pulled folks out and I"m not feeling comfortable using it for recovery (and those that wheeled with me know I"m religious about respooling the sucker).

So, please all, keep in mind your own safety and that of others. If you need help getting the proper tow points, gimme a holler or post up and other members will help out.

Oh yeah, this is not meant to stop anyone from participating, this is meant to keep everyone safe WHILE participating.

Back