• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

installing a 241 Rock-trac T-case from Rubicons

XJ98Jeep

NAXJA Forum User
Has anyone ever done this before? It seems like a great swap, a beefier T-case and a 4:1 crawl ratio. I'll have to check on who it was, but somebody had them for $1600 brand new.

The 241OR is a great upgrade and fits with zero mods,Even if you added a HD chain and 6 gear planetaries to a 231 will still come up short and you will have spent a ton of money.Ive got one and a Tera-low case also,there is no comparision between the two!

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=941310

nvg241or1.jpg

Last edited:
needsrepair said:
Remember.....if your running an auto with large tires it will be even harder to stop when going down hill in low range.
You will be in neutral going down hills because that low gearing will be enough to overide your breaks. I think I read the newer the XJ the lower the stall speed on the tourque converter so maybe an older automatic would be best. Maybe the converter can be modified for more stall or an aftermarket tourque converter if they make one. Maybe 4:1 is just a bad plan for an auto????

needsrepair said:
Remember.....if your running an auto with large tires it will be even harder to stop when going down hill in low range.
Actually its the other way around,the engine braking is excellent!And it gets even better if you have a 1-2/lock-up shift kit.I hardly ever use my brakes on the trail.

Sure its kinda OT, not an XJ, but I gotta show it off.....

My NV241OR in my....... KJ

1NV241.jpg

Yep, it's tucked up under that....Love that flat belly.
FlatBelly1.jpg

Can't wait to try it out....hopefully in another few days or so. I addressed the braking issue by going WJ front and KJ/TJ, etc. style rear discs on the 44.

RCP Phx said:
Actually its the other way around,the engine braking is excellent!And it gets even better if you have a 1-2/lock-up shift kit.I hardly ever use my brakes on the trail.

OK Maybe it would be better. Mines a 2000 auto with 33's and it overrides the brakes at times. Have to stand on them.

RCP Phx said:
Thats would do it. Has any body come up with a way to stop the CEL from comming on on the newer XJ's? That light saved my moter more than once and I can't have it on all the time. I wonder why they call it an idiot light? Don't answer that.

Ok if you had and older XJ without the electronic spedo can you just put the mechanical one in and make it work?

They bolt right up to '91 up rigs. I have a '93 ZJ 4.0L (temporary mule to get my EFI tested out) with AW4 in my '84 J10 that's getting the NV241 OR as soon as I can get out there to work on it (too deep of snow to even move around in the yard!)

needsrepair said:
OK Maybe it would be better. Mines a 2000 auto with 33's and it overrides the brakes at times. Have to stand on them.
So is mine, 2k/auto/33'sx10.5's on 15x7 steel wheels(that could mean something),might want to check out your brakes(rear in particular).Ive never even put on brake shoes or pads on yet!

Last edited:
$1600 is kind of a lot, I've seen the 241OR's for as cheap as $900 on ebay a dozen or so times in the last few months.

If you shop around you can get a killer deal.

Back