• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Are there gremlins in my lights?

CoastieJ

NAXJA Forum User
There seems to be no rhyme or reason why my turn signals are acting the way they do. One day they work, one day they don't. My hazards (four ways) always work, so I know the bulbs aren't burnt out. All these probs were preceeded by a strange buzzing near the steering column...I replaced the flasher but that didn't seem to make a difference. Do I have a short somewhere? I'm helpless with this electrical stuff...pls help!

Could be a lot of diff things. Have you checked your turn sig switch? Its only about $15.00 but kinda pain to put in. You can "slave" it in buy plugging it into your harness at the bottom of the stearing colum and turning it on. Also could be your headlight switch. Best thing to do would be to unplug your headlight switch and see if it still does it. Then check your main headlight harness plug behind the Drivers side headlight. Some times the ground comes loose from the connector and it will cause all kinds of probs. What the specs on your Jeep? Year mainly but diff models had diff options. ie fog lights etc.

Muad'Dib said:
Do you ever by chance turn your blinkers on and they blink for a second and then stop? Or the indicator light stays illuminated?

YES! Lately I can get the turn signals to manually turn on for a few seconds and then they die. Again, no rhyme or reason. Every once and a while they will work for a couple minutes and then dead again. Sometimes the light will just freeze in place before dying. Very wierd...

96 XJ Sport, 4.0, AW4, NP231 (4WD)

I had that problem with my 90, and it was the turn signal light socket. (not the indicator light behind the instrument cluster) Im sure you know what im talking about ;)

Anyway i just went to a junkyard, found new sockets and spliced them in. Worked great. It seems its a problem that is common with the sockets on these Jeeps. Even if its not the socket (i think it is) its a cheap "try".

CoastieJ said:
YES! Lately I can get the turn signals to manually turn on for a few seconds and then they die. Again, no rhyme or reason. Every once and a while they will work for a couple minutes and then dead again. Sometimes the light will just freeze in place before dying. Very wierd...

96 XJ Sport, 4.0, AW4, NP231 (4WD)

I had a similar problem but mine was a bad flasher relay. Right side flashed OK, left side flashed some times, other times it just stayed lit, but no flash.

Back