• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Removing stock trackbar - it's STUCK

Daedalus454

NAXJA Forum User
I'm trying to remove my stock trackbar to install my new RE trackbar, but I have had no luck getting either the axle bolt or the upper bracket nut to budge using my 2.5ft breaker bar and large quantities of Kroil. It even took a surprising amount of work to get the cotter pin out. I thought I would try removing the upper trackbar mount from the framerail, but I couldn't budge those bolts either. Any tips?

sounds like you need a cheater pipe for the breaker bar.

the axle mount I got off easily with my impact gun, but the top one took some muscle and leverage since the impact can't fit up there.

another trick that often works freeing stuck bolts is to heat it up with a small propane torch (just make sure nothing flammable is around the area). You can pick up a torch cap and benzomatic tank (the little blue tanks the size of a 1-liter soda bottle) at most hardware stores for probably 20 bucks or less...

http://www.kanolabs.com/

Kroil makes PB Blaster look like WD40. It's the second-best penetrating oil I know of, second to Mouse Milk. :laugh3:

Yeah, looks like I need to re-up my gym membership. That way I can just twist the bolts off with my bare hands. :rolleyes:

I have a propane torch, but I was hesitant to light it off with all the Kroil everywhere. I'll try it this weekend and see if it helps.

i feel your pain, last year when i did it i couldn't remove the frame end so i just cut it off and drilled out the bolt. I think that using a torch to heat it up is your best bet.

mucovich said:
i feel your pain, last year when i did it i couldn't remove the frame end so i just cut it off and drilled out the bolt. I think that using a torch to heat it up is your best bet.
Yeah, my angle grinder was looking pretty convenient last night. If I can get the axle bolt off it's going to be really tempting to just cut the balljoint in half and drive it out the top, nut and all. :exclamati

hooligan-bar.jpg

somthing like the "Y" end (I forget what the tool is called) you can get them for an AIR HAMMER... maybe rent one from a local tool rental place.

Hammered said:

Yikes...do you have to have a permit for that thing!?!?

I had a similar problem on my '87 (and I'm not weak...) getting my trac-bar off. Like you said, even my cotter pin was a biooootch to get out.

somthing like the "Y" end (I forget what the tool is called) you can get them for an AIR HAMMER... maybe rent one from a local tool rental place.

Damnit Shorty beat me to it. Pickle fork.

I've got a pickle fork, although it looks nothing like that one, yikes. I'm having trouble with the hardware at present.

Finally got the trackbar out. The axle mount bolt had rusted to the sleeve on the inside of the trackbar bushing. I ended up cutting the trackbar apart with my cutoff wheel so I could get vise grips on the sleeve and break it loose from the bolt.

Then I couldn't get the upper mount loose. So I used my propane torch (my new best friend) and took the entire bracket off, then stuck it in a vise so I could really whale on it with a big hammer. Finally came loose.

I don't know what the torques are for the bracket, but they are torqued to "as tight as I can get them with a 2' breaker bar," as is the big 5/8" bolt that came with the RE trackbar.

I wasn't sure if the RE trackbar would be too long with only a 3" lift, but at the shortest position my front axle is pretty much perfectly centered. My steering wheel is off center a bit, though. Oh well, I will get it aligned next week after I change out the LCAs.

Back