• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

poor mans stroker

userbmx1315

NAXJA Forum User
ok ive searched and found lots of stuff but get a lil dazed thinking about it all, i want to do the 4.5 poormans stroker off jeep4.0performance ive got a list off there but were would i get each thing?
the 4.2 stroke crank, can i get that out of a older yj? or is everything ordered knew?

4.5L "Poor man's" simple stroker

Jeep 4.2L 3.895" stroke crank
Jeep 4.2L 5.875" rods
Sealed Power 677CP standard bore pistons
9.2:1 CR
Stock 4.0 camshaft
Ported HO 1.91"/1.50" cylinder head
Mopar/Victor 0.043" head gasket
0.088" quench height
Ford 24lb/hr injectors with stock 39psi FPR for '87-'95 engines, stock injectors with stock 49psi FPR for '96 and later engines
247hp @ 4900rpm, 300lbft @ 3500rpm

Well, you can get the rods and crank out of a junker, no sweat. Personally I'd have a machine shop balace the whole rotating assembly. If you are doing a rebuild at the same time, go ahead and check www.summitracing.com for pistons, rings, etc and I'd still let a good machine shop put the thing together. All you are doing is replacing the bottom end / rods crank seals bearings and making sure it balances correctly. The rest of the engine is fine the way it is.
The cylinder head can be the ported HO, the 96+, the Hesco - any damned cylinder head meant for a 4.0 will work. I'd just make sure its HO or 96+ if you want to get the max power out of it.

Lots of stuff you can get on Ebay.

I would have them deck the block at least .020" as well, but that'll increase your cr a couple points.

im not too sure thats why i asked. 8.8:1 is stock right? i think with 9.2:1 you would probably need 89 octane but there are other factors involved.

Back