• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

starting trouble

jeep/bronco

NAXJA Forum User
ok heres the problem it only happens on cold starts... 89 xj 4.0 auto
when i start it for the first time in mornings or whenever if it dies before the idle smoothes out it wont start for about 15 mins or so ...also sometimes if i drop into nuetral it will start so that lead to think it was a bad safety switch but it always starts that first time and then not after it dies. and this morning the switching to nuetral thing did not work at all

did you adjust tps to specs with volt meter?

have you checked fuel pressure with a gauge?

are your reverse lights working?

have you cleaned the IAC and throttle body?

bypass the ballast resistor next time this happens to rule it out as a possibility. or check its resistance, IIRC it should be 1.6 ohms

jeep/bronco said:
ok heres the problem it only happens on cold starts... 89 xj 4.0 auto
when i start it for the first time in mornings or whenever if it dies before the idle smoothes out it wont start for about 15 mins or so ...also sometimes if i drop into nuetral it will start so that lead to think it was a bad safety switch but it always starts that first time and then not after it dies. and this morning the switching to nuetral thing did not work at all

But it's still cranking? If so maybe really leaky injectors flooding it? Try craking at WOT if that's the case.

injectors and o rings are new. after the first start it does not even try to start engine does not turn over i turn the key and fuel pump comes on like normal but no starter but 15 mins later fires right up

Back