• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear Flex isssue to Boomerang or Not

themud

NAXJA Forum User
Ive got well built rear springs I sit at about 5-5.25" in the rear with a rebuilt rear pack it has 6 leaves and rides good so no complaints there...The problem im having is it stuffs well but Im having droop issues I cant get the rear to droop down to use my full shock lengths(fully extended they are 25") I do have raised mounts on the axles so dont let the length thing on the shocks be an issue.. At full droop Im only at 21.5" extended on the shock lengths so I have 3.5" to go to be fully extended..

I want to get the feedback from others will a boomerang shackle (tnts with 1.5" of lift) help with that Im currently running RE 1.5" lift shackles that are straight not bent and still dont like the down travel on the rear and I dont want to pull any more leaves out of my packs and they are pretty damn close to level anyway... I do have full leaf liners in all the leaves and that does help and I do get a small amount of leaf twist and seperation at full droop I just want them to droop a bit more not huge amounts... I talked to tnt and they said itll help but how much more droop can I expect out of the new shackles and I know they are designed with longer leaves in mind if it comes to that I will either make a new rear mount for the shackles and run even longer shackles or get a new main leaf that like 2" longer.. In looking at the design of the boomerangs it looks like I should get more droop due to the arc of the shackle when the spring droops out right??

Any advice from the experienced crowd will also be welcome as to whether Im just pissing in the wind!!

The boomerang shackle is designed to improve compression not droop.

The problem occurs that longer springs will cause the shackle to hit the frame behind it upon full compression, the boomerang is meant to bend around that frame and allow the compressed spring to be longer.

In short the answer is simply "you're pissing in the wind"

Boomerang shackles do not change the shackle angle. They do not increase flex unless you have interference between the shackle and the shackle box.

So getting a longer main leaf and then the boomerang shackle will help solve so of the problem?? If so what are ya thinking for a new main leaf? I dont mind putting on a new main and a new shackle to help with the rear as its the only thing not quite working the way I want it too..

themud

i saw a thread somewhere recently that said a dodge van mai leaf will work for what you need.the main eye -center pin measurement is the same as an xj leaf but the back half of the leaf is 1" longer. that will give you a better shackle angle therefore more droop. i don't remember where the thread was but search on here and you can probably find it somewhere.

Dodge full size van 1/2 ton 23 x 31/xj 23 x 28 5/8..with a boomerang shackle you should get really good shackle angle with the extra 2 1/2 inches.. for info on all leafs go to general leaf spring..

Thanks builder to save me some time what years on the dodge vans and do they increase the spring rate on the rear?? Have you done the swap and did ya like it...
Thanks
themud

Look it up to be sure,but on the 1/2 tons i think there are 2 rates 1200# 4 leafs and 1600# on 3/1 overload on the second i would assume. no i have not run the dodge but did f 150 1/2 tons and they flex real well.. only with the fords you would have to move the forward mounting and with the dodge you dont! you could also lower the rear mounting to gain some height on any set you choose. when i ran f 150 leafs i lowered rear mounting point, sprayed leafs with moly spray where they were metal to metal and used spring clamps that allow leafs to flex and keep them aligned. got clamps at bds suspension.they flex really well and handle weight.. note: redrill and use xj overload instead of the ford for better flex, and you can carry whatever you want without loosing height.. moly spray is what deaver uses on leafs that spend more time offroad then on road. read it in a 4x4 mag. works really well! give the dodges a try i bet they will flex well with the above mentioned mods..

Forgot to mention fords are 25x 31 so only 2 inches longer than the dodge. when i did the fords with the mods i mentioned it got me 5 inches of lift. another member on this board uses the fords, think his user name is trailready not sure.. do the dodge leafs and you wont have to move anything,, just get some boomerangs if you keep the stock mounting if you lower it then the boomers are not needed. goatman runs 1/2 ton chevy leafs under a mj main and gets really good flex. yes 1/2 tons are thicker and heavier, but they are flat springs and flat equals flex! and if needed use a 1 inch block for height also.offroad designs makes a really nice 1 inch block .

thanks for the info I guess it time to hit the wrecking yards also what years on the dodge and ford models??
Or does it matter at all...
thanks
themud

dodge full size 1/2 ton vans 1970-03 ford f150 1980 - 96 but go to general leaf spring to be sure,and having stiffer front coils helps the rear flex better also.. i ran bds 4.5 240# inch coils.. lot of guys run skyjackers also for a stiffer coil. spend the $ on a membership, best 20$ you will ever spend.. good luck

Back