• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

starting troubles?

aaronsxj

NAXJA Forum User
Were i live we have been dealing with below frezzing temps for a month now. My 94xj I6 4.0 was running and starting fine until i didn't start it for about 4 days, I then try to start it and it wouldn't, i put a 10amp charger on it for 5min and it fired right up. Work good for a couple days then it sat for 1 and same thing, won't start. Is my battery no good, or mabye alt.? it also had a fair bit of white corrosion on the terminal.

corrsion doesnt help. clean it and see what happens.

but i would suspect a bad battery. put a volt meter on the battery and crank over the engine, if the volts drop below 10v, the battery is weak and needs to be replaced.

Wash your poles and battery off with hot soapy water, rinse and dry it off with a rag. The battery vents acid vapor which can coat the battery, especially when it deep cycles. Acid vapor and moisture conducts quit well.
Anytime it gets down around 20 or below I throw a drop light under the hood, next to the battery. Being careful it doesn't melt anything. It improves my starting dramatically.
When it gets really cold, I have a thick movers blanket, that I sewed a plastic tarp to on one side (an idea I picked up on NAXJA) and throw it over the hood plastic up. It stays toasty in the motor compartment.
It takes awhile for the battery to completely recharge, short trips don't get it done.

so i replaced my battery with an optima red top and noticed that my in-dash volt meter is reading about 15 maybe a hair more is this normal or is my alt. or regulator acting funny?

verify the reading by putting a voltmeter across the terminals of the battery. with the vehicle running, it should be about 14.5v

it read 14.3. thanks alot. now i kinda have a hot start issue. if i drive my jeep and turn it off and try to start it a minute later it dosen't like to start unless i hold down the gas pedal, or if i wait about 10-20min it starts up fine. any thoughts?

It's on;y been 11 hours between your replaced battery post, and your hot-start post.
Maybe the ECU is still learning?

This sounds like it might be a "heat soak" related problem...or flooding problem
Heat soak causes a vapor lock at the fuel rail, and injectors...

flooding problems gets cleared with WOT, (wide open throttle) shuts off the injectors..
you may have a injector leaking down when hot...

try searching on"heat soak"...read through those threads...the fix is to wrap injectors and/or fuel rail with heat sheild to fix the heat soak/vapor lock

you will need a fuel pressure tester to determine if you have injectors leaking down and flooding engine...

the hot start issue has been going on for about a month or two. i will search on heat soak, but i think it does it even when it's not at running temp.

Back