• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need Help with 33x12.5 and Stock Rims

Cipey

NAXJA Forum User
I've seen a lot of posts with similar questions. Some get answered them some fly off on a tangent with the original poster saying “WTF?”

Anyway, I got a great deal…I hope…on a new set of 33x12.5x15 TRXUS STS Radials for $300. Since my XJ is still a DD with 75% of my driving on pavement or crappy roads and 25% in the mud, I heard that these are pretty good.

Anyway, I am running 32x11.5x15 on my mixed 5 ½ mixed Rough Country lift at the moment. My fenders are trimmed and I got me some Bushwacker flares installed. With the stock rims its impossible to run stock with these tires, without washing and rubbing and the grinding and the smoke. So I have 1 inch bolt on titanium spaces up front and 2 inch inches in the rear to make up for the narrower Exploder 8.8 axle.

Can I run my stock rims with 33 inch tires with the current setup without contact?
Or will I need new rims? I don’t want my tires to look “bowed”. I would like new rims but money IS an object right now..but no enough (EVER) to compromise safety.

Please recommend…
Please Suggest…
Or
Direct me to a previous post that may answer my question.

Thanks

Cipey

how far away are you now without hitting anything?

your currently running 32x11.5 on stock rims, do you have enough room for another 1/2" of width that you will get with the 33x12.5?

I'm kinda suprised you don't already rub yur control arms. If I had to guess.....I would say that you definately gonna rub now. You could buy spacers if you are really attached to those stock rims. Or for bout $50.00 a piece you could buy some black steelies and solve yur problems the right way. No worries about width or back spacing. I would go with a 10" wide rim and 3 1/2" back space.

Then I'd set up the stock rims with some good road type tires that get real good mpg ratings and kep those for any road trips.

CJ's98XJ said:
I'm kinda suprised you don't already rub yur control arms. If I had to guess.....I would say that you definately gonna rub now. You could buy spacers if you are really attached to those stock rims. Or for bout $50.00 a piece you could buy some black steelies and solve yur problems the right way. No worries about width or back spacing. I would go with a 10" wide rim and 3 1/2" back space.

Then I'd set up the stock rims with some good road type tires that get real good mpg ratings and kep those for any road trips.

CJ is correct, about the steel rims. www.summitracing.com has the best price on those rims, but I would go with the 15x8 instead of the 15x10. With the wider rim, you run a greater risk of blowing a bead and either a 15x7 or 15x8 would work well on a 12.5" tire. If you are woried about rubbing make sure you get the correct backspace.

Jess said:
CJ is correct, about the steel rims. www.summitracing.com has the best price on those rims, but I would go with the 15x8 instead of the 15x10. With the wider rim, you run a greater risk of blowing a bead and either a 15x7 or 15x8 would work well on a 12.5" tire. If you are woried about rubbing make sure you get the correct backspace.

X3 on the steelies.

And X2 on the 15x8's instead of 15x10's. You don't need a 10" wheel for that...don't go that wide. 3.75" BS on a 15x8 wheel will be money...that's probably the most common setup.

they do rub if i turn completely into the stops. so its not a problem...though i have the xtra 1/2 inch clearence now, they def. will hit the cont. arms more with the new tires on tight turns.

i am not attched to my rims a bit and i want to get new ones...i was thinking 'bout going with the black steelies, but everyone has 'em. i want to stay reasonable like $75 and under for the rims.

Cipey

My .02. I just got off phone ordering wheels from summit. All the cragar/US Wheel/Unique rims come in 4.0 BS that they sell off the shelf. Specifcally the 342's, 84's, 42's (all the same wheel though) black steelies.
I was trying to get 15X8 with 5.25BS for my rig. I settled for 16X8 with 5.0 BS since I have a 63"WMS. You are going to spend more than 50 per wheel if you want custom backspacing.

I just put new wheels and 33" tires on yesterday. I got the 15x8 Cragar V5 black steelies with 4" BS for $36 apiece from Quadratec.

IMG_1976.jpg

bandit455 said:
from what ive heard there for show trucks only

not even good traction on the street

i heard they were good on streets and back roads....thats mostly where i drive... my rig takes me to HT right of ways, old rail beds..mostly..its not a trail machine...and no mall creeper

who did you that from. that they are crap..... a review, or some guy said so...what would you recommend? I'll buy 'em for 300 and sell em for 500 and put em toward something better.

what do you suggest?

Thanx

Cipey

i

From the Interco website:

The TrXus STS, the STS stands for Three Stage Sidewall, is a new concept in all terrain tires. These tires are not intended to be a substitute for the Super Swamper or Bogger tires but a tire for you if you spend a lot of time on the street. Besides working so well on the street it has good off road performance and excels in snow and sand. It is also very much at home in the rocks and will impress anyone with its all around performance. This tire is going to set a new standard in the all terrain category.

We have the MTs on the Scrambler and love them. The STSs are all terrains. So, again, if you really are in the mud 25% of the time, they may disapoint. However, $300 is a screaming good deal. Get 'em. Like you say, you can always sell them. You may not get $500, but you'll surely be able to get your $300 back.

Back