• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Brake pads/rotor opinions

Cornflake

NAXJA Forum User
My XJ needs new rotors/pads for the front. What are you guys running? I'm doing the WJ booster swap at the same time. Autozone has Duralast rotors for 35.99 w/2 year warranty and Valuecraft rotors for 24.99 w/1 year warranty. Pads they have, Duralast Gold Ceramics for 34.99 and Duralast Semi-metallics for 24.99. I was told to stay away from Ceramics for XJ's?Then we have Kragens and they have Raybestos Aimco rotors for 24.49. Pads are Raybestos Pro grade 35.99 w/LLW and 2 years for 18.99. Last but not least or maybe it is, Napa. Premium rotors for 30.95 and Tru-stop pads for 19.95 and Safety-stop for 35.99. Any opinions? I need to get this done Saturday so I can't order anything online. Just need some opinions. Brakes are kind of a big deal :)

I don't know who told ya to stay away from Ceramics, but that's B.S.. If it's a DD.. The only way to go, If trail rig, go with semi- metalic. Rotor's won't really matter as all are made oversea's nowadays.

Ceramic pads are the only way to go for a DD, like the above post says. Much less wheel dusting, really long life and better stopping power. I use Satisfied Pro Ceramic Vehicle specific. I've put on 20,000 miles and they are still only 1/4 worn. Also, rotors seem to like ceramic pads better.

Also, they are chamfered and have a slot. For me, the biggest reason to use the pads is that the friction material isn't rivited or bonded like cheap pads, they use a grid system so they will never break off. I learned the hard way not to use cheap brake parts when I was in high school.

so it seems rotors don't matter so much what brand and try to go ceramic pads? i have always been told ceramic pads weren't good for off-roading. i guess i've been misinformed.

I have heard to stay away from ceramic pads for the XJ too, so I bought a set off ebay....no probs. at all. I like not getting all that dust.

ok, so its a super old thread and im making it my own... my 2000 xj has 113K miles on it and it needs pads at least, should i go ahead and upgrade it to power slot rotors and hawk hps pads? or go back with something like brembo blanks and hawk hps pads?

i can get power slots cryogenic rotors from tire rack for 123 a piece, and the hawk pads for 68. should i go that route or what would you guys do?

Back