• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rock Sliders.......?

RustyRocker

NAXJA Forum User
Ok....whats eveyones opinion on Rock Sliders? What brand do you have, and how easy was the install? Are you happy with them? What was the cost, with shipping? Im getting a set soon, but im not sure what brand to buy......im kinda looking for the ones that you cut out the old rocker ( mine are like swiss cheese ), and either weld or bolt on the new ones.....i have a buddy with a shop, a plasma cutter, torches, he can weld, ect....so thats not a prob......quality is the main concern i have, and price, o course.......hope you all can weigh in with your 2 cents.......thanks ! :yap:

search for rocker replacements.

A lot of people have done cool things replacing the factory rockers with 2x6 or 2x4 tube steel.

Last night I spent a bit of time working on mine, I used two 65" sections of 2x4x3/16" and I just plan for them to be simple, durable, and clean looking. I'll eventually tie them to a subframe...when I eventually build one.

I can say that if you've got a shop with a welder and a plasma cutter... I wouldn't be looking at buying anyone else's pre-made rockers. My .02 tho

Edit: for price info, it cost me around $50 for the steel to make the rockers and the end caps. I'm 45ing the ends in the wheelwells and other than that its a really simple project, for my application at least.

thamks for the replys......the guy that i know that has the shop, he works long hours, like 70 hours a week....but i MIGHT be able to talk him into doing this for me......that was my first thought too, to have him just make me a set of replacement rockers, made of thick steel......looks are the last of importance to me, but being made well is a big one....he is fairly good at welding, and he loves to use his stuff, so maybe ill have to talk to him, lol....hell, even if it costs me more for him to build them and install them, compared to buying ones, id still do it......it would help me and him both out, u know? hopefully he has the time tho.........thanks for the replys!

I just got some JCR stage 2s. Very nice pieces and easy install if you read the JCR instructions lol. Haven't been wheeling with them yet but hopefully soon. My rocker panels are in such bad shape it was almost to late. The fact that I added nice rails under the beat to hell rockers didn't make the rockers look any better for sure lol.

RustyRocker said:
hell, even if it costs me more for him to build them and install them, compared to buying ones, id still do it......it would help me and him both out, u know? hopefully he has the time tho.........thanks for the replys!

If you want to go this route, you can do a lot of the work yourself.

Measure what you'll need and go buy the steel, if you don't have access to any metal cutting tools, have the shop cut the ends to 45 degrees or the angle you want (45 will work, someone who cares more might try to match the angle of the fenders/wheelwells). I know at the shop I use it'd be an extra $5 if anything to cut the angles on the ends.

Then do your own prep work of cutting out the old rockers, its pretty thin. I'd just mock it up. Talk to your buddy, if he wants do rosette welds every 3" you can drill the holes, etc.

Then your buddy who's busy only needs to take a bit of time to burn things together while you've had a hand in building your rig. If your buddy isn't bad about labor costs, you could do the whole thing under $150.

JCR stage 2 sliders work great - have had them about a year and they have saved my junk from lots of rocks and keeping me off of trees, also work great as a jacking point with a hi-lift jack.

yeah, my rockers are SHOT man, no shit, lol......im looking to cut them out and have new steel ones welded in, or made to bolt in......just plain flat, black , thick steel will work for me......theres no hiding the fact my rockers have more holes siamese-twin hooker......i just need to get rid of them, for good, lol.......im gonna talk to my buddy, see if hes up for the job, if not, i just looked in my phone book, under welding and fabricating....thers a local shop that says " no job too small, walk ins welcome", so i may just walk on in and ask if they wanna do it, u know? thanks again!

97xjdawg.......thats about excactly what im looking for, the ones in those pics......and yeah, im deff gonna talk to my buddy, or that other shop, and SOON, once i get it in my head to do something, i hate to wait, lol......my rockers were shot on my last XJ too, and 89, and now my 92 is about that bad, if not worse, but the rest of the Jeep is really nice, so i couldnt pass it up......its a stripper tho ( idiot lights, mini console, manual windows, locks, ect ), but none of that matters to me....it doesnt leak a drop ( i better shut up! ), and it runs like new, only 1600, 000 ....im breaking it in! thanks for the ideas.......my rockers WILL be gone as soon as possible!

I just got a set of AJ's 3/16 super rails. These things are pure beef and very well constructed. Nice product

nice rig xjjeepthing....clean when it should be, dirty when it shouldnt be, lol.....the AJs sliders look really nice, but im leaning towards cutting mine out ( a nice 70mph ride down the road would probably do it ), and just getting new onesmade....nice rig tho man, and thanks for the post!

My friend was in the logging biz for years, and he built a back bumper for his ForD F-350, a back bumper, that doubled as an air tank......it worked out sweet......hope hes up to doing my rockers.......

I have installed two different sets, ORGS now JKS Super-Nerfs on my 2000 and Custom's on Rightseatsis' 2001. They were both pretty straight forward installs. The super-nerfs are on my DD and when it's wet out, I sometimes don't step far enough away when exiting the Jeep soiling my pants leg.

On my next XJ I will purchase from a sponsor.

RustyRocker said:
nice rig xjjeepthing....clean when it should be, dirty when it shouldnt be, lol.....the AJs sliders look really nice, but im leaning towards cutting mine out ( a nice 70mph ride down the road would probably do it ), and just getting new onesmade....nice rig tho man, and thanks for the post!
Thanks
I love AJ's rails, bumpers will more then likely come from him too.

Back