• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Lock-Rite Locker question

98XJROKS

NAXJA Forum User
I have an 8.25 with a Lock-Rite locker in it and with about 5-6000 miles on the rebuild. I took the cover off to inspect the wear on the gears etc. With the wheels off the ground and when you rotate the axles forward of backward there is a tiny bit of play between the pins and the holes.

My questions is if this is normal or should I be concerned about this?

Seems to me there should be a little play, if it was tight all the time it seems like it would be more likely to break...but someone that knows more about this subject will correct me if I am wrong.

I should add that I don't see any wear at all and appears to be normal, but I didn't do the install to know if it is or not.

Yes, there should be a little bit of play in there. The pin to inner drivers area is not a tight fit, to allow the mechanism to unlock. It's also common in the lock-rites while on jackstands for one tire to rotate and make a clicking noise while the other tire remains stationary. If it's not unlocking at crazy times on the street or especially on the trail, it's most likely fine.

Back