• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Covers of my drum brakes moving and making clunk noise

tstaples

NAXJA Forum User
Hey all,

So I've been having this rear end clunk noise for a while when i turned a corner and I couldn't figure out what it was. Shocks were tight and everything...

finally i figured it out... popped my wheel off and i can take the cover of my drum brake and move it like 1mm back and forth and make it clunk. The lug posts move with it.

what's going on.. it does this on both sides... anyone know what could be wrong?

this is on a 99 XJ

Where,s my dictionary---It,s called clearence without it you could not remove the brake (cover) which is the brake drum.Try doing the same thing with the wheel bolted down.

There will be some play because of the C-clip axles. Not much you can do about it.Now a worn U-joint can cause a clunk try looking at those.
Wayne

The ujoints all got replaced about 3 weeks ago. I know it's not them. When I have the tired lugged on, i can still pull on the tires when the truck is jacked up and get it to clunk.

so you're saying that's just the way it is? No way to tighten it so it doesn't clunk anymore. ? did something wear out? i dont seem to remember hearing this clunk when i bought the truck

What you have is end play in the axles.If you have a 8.25 there are shims available to put under the side gears to remove some of the play.But this also effectes (SP) the spider gears as well.

Not sure if anything is available for the D35.

Try making sure the rear brakes are adjusted correctly ,this may limit some of the movement.

Wayne

as long as I know that my wheel isn't going to fire off my truck while going 70 down the highway, i'm at ease. Now maybe i'll have my brakes serviced and hopefully they'll adjust them right and limit some of the movement.

tstaples said:
as long as I know that my wheel isn't going to fire off my truck while going 70 down the highway, i'm at ease. Now maybe i'll have my brakes serviced and hopefully they'll adjust them right and limit some of the movement.
the drum will move when the wheel is off, tightening the wheel down pinches the drum against the flange on the axle.
try your test with the wheel mounted and torqued down properly and the drum shouldn't move.

Back