• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

throwin codes

pro-rallye

NAXJA Forum User
i'm beginning to get frustrated now. first off, my '91 wouldn't start but everything else electrical would work. i replaced the ignition switch and it solved the problem. a week later on cold startups, it would begin to buck and stumble. i replaced the tps and that solved that problem. but now, i'm back to square one and the jeep won't start up again. it has the same symptoms as before when i replaced the ignition switch. wtf!? i ran the onboard diagnostics and i am throwing 12 (battery recently disconnected) 35 (idle switch motor fault) and 35 (cooling fan relay cicuit open or shorted) and also 17 (engine stays cool too long = bad thermostat) would this cause the engine not to start? what would you guys recommend? should i try replacing the ignition cylinder or the idle switch? i have a new thermostat too that i can throw on. ahhhhh this is my dd and it really sucks trying to get two people to work at different hours with one car. please help! thanks

Make sure your battery cables are good and that your battery is good. I had a similar problem where I could get electronics to work but it wouldn't turn over. I could turn the battery cable (usually) and it would start. I had to clean the cables up and it worked for a while. Then I just replaced the battery and recleaned the cables/connectors and it has not faltered since; but, the hot cable is corroding again.

Also, try starting it in nuetral. If it starts, then your Nuetral Safety Switch is dirty or bad. This is a common problem and one I have. I have a 91 also.

i have a manual so i don't think i have a nss but ill try messin with the battery cables. they appeared in good condition last time i checked though, but maybe one loosened up or something. would a faulty idle switch cause the jeep not to start? thanks for your input

pro-rallye said:
i have a manual so i don't think i have a nss but ill try messin with the battery cables. they appeared in good condition last time i checked though, but maybe one loosened up or something. would a faulty idle switch cause the jeep not to start? thanks for your input

Nope, No NSS like the auto's, but you do have a clutch safety switch I believe. That would only cause it to not turn over.

in the morning i usually don't even use the clutch to start it. i just reach in, throw it in neutral and it fires right up, so i don't know if i have a clutch safety switch. any other ideas? thanks for any advice guys!

Back