• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

35s with stock gears...

Courtster

NAXJA Forum User
Alright, so I would like to avoid regearing the XJ right now, at least for a little while. This weekend I'll be lifting it and installing 35x12.5x16s. The XJ has been stripped of all doors, glass, interior, all non essentials etc, so it's ALOT lighter. How much power would you guess I would loose? Enough to really kick myself into regearing sooner than later? Thanks

Its the 8.25 29 rear end with 3.55 gears.

That my friend would be a turd. I put a used set of 33's on a stock 44 and it sucked so bad I didnt drive it until I regeared. It was just an old pos trail/farm rig with very little street time. 4.0 renix, auto, 242. BTW.

I drive 33's on stock gears every day. It changes gears way more than it needs to and it's rough on the tranny but it does fine other than that. I'm regearing this month but it's done just fine for the 2 months I've had the 33s. You'll will want to/should regear as soon as you can. It's money well spent. I promise. I just regeared my Samurai and it would hardly move before and now that sucker will climb a wall.

Your gas mileage is going to suck. Driving 3.55's with 35's is going to be like towing a pair of jetski's uphill everywhere you go, all the time.

Gears will pay for themselves pretty quick. :)

Yeah and imagine if you actually WERE pulling a pair of Jet Ski's uphill everywhere. (1st hand experience) Your transmission WILL overheat and leave you sitting on the side of the road for a while till it cools off. When I switch to the new gears I believe a new transmission won't be far behind it because of running on stock gears.

Courtster said:
Enough to really kick myself into regearing sooner than later?

Yep. Every time I lifted before saving for gears, I did them on credit.(reverse savings plan)

scorpio_vette said:
automatic or manual tranny???

either way it's going to be a dog, but at least with the manual you won't kill it right away if you know how to drive. now an automatic won't like that AT ALL.

yep my friends tj was like this for a while - bleh- slow, gutless and aweful on fuel- use a gear ratio to tire size chart and find out what suits your needs- honestly you need 4.56 or 4.88 - 4.10 seems ok (so far...) in my other friends 4 banger - manual- wrangler with 35 inch tires / stock tcase but the cherokee eh not so much

scorpio_vette said:
automatic or manual tranny???

either way it's going to be a dog, but at least with the manual you won't kill it right away if you know how to drive. now an automatic won't like that AT ALL.

I would think your clutch in you 5sp would burn up alot faster than and auto.

The whole concept of 35's on 3.55's sux...if you absolutely must, and you have an auto trans...get a cooler and DONT run it in overdrive...and the gas mileage wil SUCK!!!

And you wont get away with it because you are a flatlander in Florida...I live in Florida and I'm tellin you it will suck...if you are wanting to fix it up...I have a whole early model Xj with usable axles with 4.88 gears and lockers.

I run 33's/4.10's and I think it sucks. I can't imagine 35's and 3.5's......:hang:

I hear you guys say that 4.10s and 33s sucks. What are you wanting? I understand that there is a big difference between 3.55/4.10 and 4.10/4.56, but I have 33s and 3.55s and it is not that bad. Sure, I am not a tow monster and if I am going up hill on pavement in OD is boggs, I get bad gas mileage, but its not the end of the world like some make it out to be. I have made some steep/muddy hill climbs in 4lo. I am not saying you shouldnt regear, because I am sure it is night and day, Im just saying some people make it out to be much worse than it really is.

rcmf5525 said:
I hear you guys say that 4.10s and 33s sucks. What are you wanting? I understand that there is a big difference between 3.55/4.10 and 4.10/4.56, but I have 33s and 3.55s and it is not that bad. Sure, I am not a tow monster and if I am going up hill on pavement in OD is boggs, I get bad gas mileage, but its not the end of the world like some make it out to be. I have made some steep/muddy hill climbs in 4lo. I am not saying you shouldnt regear, because I am sure it is night and day, Im just saying some people make it out to be much worse than it really is.

Should I do whats GREAT, or whats not THAT bad.

Hrm.

35 and 3.55 is like a match made in heaven lmfao

That is not what I was saying, read it again.

35 with 3.55 I am sure is a slug, but someone made the comment that 33s with 3.55 is a turd, and that simply is not the case.

rcmf5525 said:

i bet you wouldnt say the same thing after you have regeared.

i bet you will say, "why the fawk didnt i regear sooner!"

Back