• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Low range shake

TORX

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
1988 XJ 4.0L BA10 NP231

Lately I've noticed whenever I am in 4 wheel drive, and ascending a hill I get a bad shake from the transfer case area. If the window is down you can hear something clunking around, and even see the front axle hopping a little. The gear shift will shake from side to side as well. It happens in all gears in low range, and even 1rst gear high range. It's most apparent during a steep hill climb where the tires are slipping a little (open diffs).

The transmission mount is a little over a year old, and all the bolts for the trans mount, and crossmember are tight.

Anyone have a similar problem, or have any ideas, things to check?

For starters the tranny is grap, upgrade to AX-15. PUke is a timebomb:fuse:

Alright now with your problem, well go to where the sound is. Pull the rear driveshaft and put the front up on jackstands. Put it in gear and get down and listen for the clunking sound, either tcase where you think you hear it or maybe the front diff. Only up hill in 4wd and the front driveshaft hops maybe the tcase is going to crap. Try that and if you here clunking in tcase then time for new one. Check fluid for Metal shavings to also let you know of problem. :conceited

Back