• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Harmonic Balancer Q

89xjJe3per

NAXJA Forum User
Ok so my Harmonic Balancer went out 2 days ago, The day it went out i went to Napa and picked up a new one ($61) and they loaned me the puller to take the old one off and the press duck foot thing to put the new one on. so all gose well old one come's off and new one gose on... now here come's my problem it dosen't want to press on all the way... like i mean it only needs to go a hair more but it wont budge! PLEASE shoot some help or am i just loseing it!!!

The only thing I can think of is the key. Is it still in the correct positon?

Are you saying that it wont go on enough for you to get the bolt in to tighten it up?
This is common. Take your current bolt down to the hardware store, and get one about an inch longer. Use the longer one to get the balancer on better, and then use your original bolt to tighten it up.

When your out getting the bolt, stop by the nearest parts place, and pick up a front crankshaft seal if you havent gotten one yet. Your going to want to replace your old one, or your going to do all this again very soon!

No it's is very much on i used a press to install it and for the key im pretty sure its in there right.. to the naked eye it looks all nice and good untell i put the belt on tighten everything up and turned her over and noticed that the belt around the balancer was off JUSt a little but still off as if the Balancer needs to be set back like 1/8th more just a hair

I cant think of anything that would physically stop it from goin back besides the key. did the balancer go on smooth and easy or di you have to fight it on? because the key is a half moon sometimes it will spin up a little in the back so you need to check that.
Jeremy

I'd remove it again and make sure everything right.....If the bolt threaded in and tightened at all that should have been enough to push the ballancer on fully.

Ya the bolt bottoms out... i think the shaft part itself on the balancer is a bit longer then stock. i know that sound's odd. it will go on just fine slide's all the way back but there is still a gap! bettwen my balancer and chain cover. i kno there should be a gap but not this big of one so that it make my belt sit funny like its all on but 1/8th of it THIS IS PISSING ME OFF!!!

so the face of the balancer and the snout of the crank are even? I know on mine I have used several different balancers and never came across this problem. I would take it all apart and start messuring between the new and the old. If its the same then I it has to be the key holding you up. When you take the bolt out be sure the balancer and snout are flush, if not then you are either bottoming out the bolt in the crank or the key is holding you off.
Jeremy

Back