• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

jeep outriggers

mitsumotors

NAXJA Forum User
has anyone ever tried using hydrualic outriggers in four corners of an xj? so you can lift it really quick on the trail to change a tire or to lift it when your stuck and stick some traction unter the tires. i was thining of doing it, i figure it can be done for relatively cheap if i fab it up myself.

uh thats a really weird idea. If you could fab them up so they dont extend past the ends/ front of your XJ then it might work out, would like to really see this in action... :cool:

You gonna go ahead and put a pto shaft or a backhoe arm through the tailgait too?

Oh don't harass him to much, he might invent something real useful someday.

get a winch and a high lift and conform like the rest of society damn it...lol
sounds like a LOT of extra weight between hoses, fluid, the outriggers themselves and all the other components. Let alone the fact that i can't in my wildest dreams picture that looking close to good. Sorry- not trying to squash your creativity, I just don't see the pros outweighing the cons.

I want some outriggers so I can put on wheels to take my jeep on railroad tracks..

Your idea is very creative, however, very impractical. As mentioned it would add a huge amount of weight. Perhaps some long air shocks with square plates mounted to them would be less weight and still serve the purpose.

Cox89XJ said:
Oh don't harass him to much, he might invent something real useful someday.

Yep. Just not today.

Don't forget you'll have to lift the body enough to max out the suspension droop, too...

Robert

you will want to use air jacks.... google is your friend...
i remember seeing them at an offroad show last year... yet i cant seem to remember which shock manufacturer made it....

four air cylinders tall enough to do the job of even a stock XJ are very expensive. If you persist in this endeavor consider one cylinder with receivers at each corner. Sure would be cheaper, lighter etc. than four air or hydraulic rams.

I'll stick with my hi-lift. Now setting up "receivers" for a hi-lift might be an interesting way to decrease the chance of the jack popping out or in to sheet metal due to uneven terrain.

DanMan2k06 said:
I dunno about you guys but I don't want that mega high pressure hydraulic fluid cruisin around in some hoses in my car.

Uh, never had a problem with it in the mowers, tractors, dump trucks, backhoes, trackhoes, snowcats, etc that I've driven...

I love the idea of a PTO and implement carrier through the tailgate... I've wanted that for a while.

Sadly its all in dreamland, the steel alone necessary to make outriggers like any heavy machinery would be outrageouly weighty to add to an XJ.

Cool thinking though.

yeah, i dont think anyone with half a brain took this thread seriously
if you get that many flats.... maybe its time for a differant tire/wheeling location

Haha very good point sir. I know the occasional tire blowout or lost bead sucks, but it just doesn't seem practical unless you drive through pits of nails or something.

i was just thinking that it would be nice to drive around on 31's for your day to day driving and then when you want to hit the mud you just pull over, quickly lift the jeep and throw on the 34's. it would be convenient for guys that also use their rigs as their daily drivers. maybe it wouldn't work with hydraulics because of the wait but come on.... its not that riduculous of an idea as some of you guys are making it out to be.

Then go do it and prove them wrong.

It's been done :D

Speed%20Racer%20%2811%29.gif

Back