• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Track Bar Decision

lancey3

NAXJA Forum User
OK here it goes.

I have a Rusty's 3 inch lift. It has the HD springs so it sits around 4 inches maybe a little under. It drifts significantly on the road. I still have the stock track bar because I'm 17 and poor. I'm in the market for an adjustable one.

Q1: Is the drifting "death wobble" (i've never understood completely what the term entails)

Q2: Will the an adjustable track bar fix the issues, stiffen the steering up, and eliminate the drifting on the highway.

Q3: Is the kevins offroad track bar worth the $240 or should I go for a cheaper solution. I really would not like to spend alot of money; I just want the issues fixed. I don't wheel to hard or very much as well. TNT Rubicon express?! Help me out!!

Thanks in advance :dunno:

lance

For your lift I would go with a rubicon express adjustable trac bar with the heim joint end, part number 1600 I believe. It is strong and will hold up to lifts around 5 inches I believe. I use it and so far it is great.

-Alex

Go RE, trust me, when you have death wobble, you'll know it..

ZacSquatch said:
Go RE, trust me, when you have death wobble, you'll know it..

1. Will the 1600 be enough?

2. Expand on the DW and drifting maybe? Pretty please! :loveu:

Ba-Riedo said:
For your lift I would go with a rubicon express adjustable trac bar with the heim joint end, part number 1600 I believe. It is strong and will hold up to lifts around 5 inches I believe. I use it and so far it is great.

-Alex

Actually if you want the extreme duty( thats the only one i would use)its the 1660, and i would also get the track bar brace and track bar bracket.

Sean

lancey3 said:
1. Will the 1600 be enough?

2. Expand on the DW and drifting maybe? Pretty please! :loveu:

1600 may be enough, but if you want to go ahead and get the 1660 in case you go bigger I would..

Death wobble is a harsh bouncin effect your tires/axle give when something like a trac bar is loose, basicaly it feels like your front end is falling off...

Bout time you got a decent avatar... miss the cowbell though

ZacSquatch said:
1600 may be enough, but if you want to go ahead and get the 1660 in case you go bigger I would..

Death wobble is a harsh bouncin effect your tires/axle give when something like a trac bar is loose, basicaly it feels like your front end is falling off...

Even if I had all the money in the world i don't think I would breach the 4.5 inch territory for COG reasons.

So the track bar will eliminate the constant drifting and steering corrections I have to do on the trip to school every morning?

I think I'll do the 1600.

thanks for the input guys =]

breach what?

What arms are you running? What is your caster? You need to start over, starting with the trac bar.

I'm not a fan of the single shear tracbar.

RyanM said:
breach what?

What arms are you running? What is your caster? You need to start over, starting with the trac bar.

Stock arms. No clue on caster, but it should be fine. Single shear?

lowrange2 said:
I'd bet the drifting is your caster.

and like Zac said - when you have DW - You'll know it.

But wouldn't the stock trackbar be most responsible for the drifting?

RyanM said:
Amen.

You CAN use the 1600 with the HD bracket, you'll just have to drill out the bracket to fit the bolt for the heim.

IMHO it would not be worth it to buy just a new trackbar. If you want to stay single shear, drill a new hole in the bracket you have to fix things for now.

EDIT: sorry if we weren't being clear, shear is easy to explain. It essentially means how many times the bolt passes through a hole. If the bolt were to shear, how many places would it break? Those are your shear planes. Also, you'd know if it were death wobble. Real death wobble is scary even for the jeep behind you.

Last edited:
You say you have 4" of lift. 4" and stock arms is not really ok. Caster is probably 0 to negative giving you the wandering. The HD RE is double shear.

Archdukeferdinand said:
Amen.

You CAN use the 1600 with the HD bracket, you'll just have to drill out the bracket to fit the bolt for the heim.

IMHO it would not be worth it to buy just a new trackbar. If you want to stay single shear, drill a new hole in the bracket you have to fix things for now.

Your saying uppers and lowers? Its not that large of a lift though.

lowrange2 said:
Stock arms on 4.5 inch of lift? Your caster, is in fact, not fine. It is WAY wrong. THAT is causeing your drifiting.
No its like a tad over 3 in the front maybe 4 in the rear.

lancey3 said:
Your saying uppers and lowers? Its not that large of a lift though.

I think we have your culprit, LCAs need to go at right around 3" Having them too short will cause your drifting and steering after impact will be wierd.

As for the trackbar thing, I was saying that you should also get a bracket in addition to the trackbar. Getting a beef trackbar and hooking it to the weaksauce stock bracket is kind of pointless.

Back