• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

belt dressing question

outlander

NAXJA Forum User
I had a local mechanic tell me that you shouldn't use belt dressing on serpentine belts.Any truth to that?Is it meant for v belts only or what?

Not to go off topic on the xj tech but my buddies 01 exploder's belt was chirping so I installed a new auto tensioner and new belt.He dressed it after I got done and it started chirping again.

He took it to a local shop and The mechanic there said he had to take all the pulleys off of it and wire brush them and install a new belt stating that you shouldn't use dressing on a serpentine belt.....Cost him $120 and the chirp is gone.Really sounded to me like the ac compressor bearing was the culprit.
I never heard that before....wtf???

I've heard the same, but I'm of the impression that if you need something on the belt, you're just masking another problem anyway. The belts come from the factory with no dressing and I don't recall many squeaking when new (Ford power steering pumps, however, have been known to make noise before you get off the dealer lot)

Belt dressing is a band-aid fix to get you where you're going - the solution (with V-belts or flat belts) is to find the glazed pully and break the glaze.

Although, if you've great faith in yourself, I find a violinist's rosin block to be easier to carry and more convenient. I don't know how much they cost, tho - I've had the same block for a dozen years...

Oh - I find that Scotch-Brite is usually sufficient for breaking the glaze on pullys. A hand pad and elbow grease will work - or you can use one of the small discs that chucks into a power drill. For flat (idler) pullys, a sanding "flap wheel" with a fine grit (180 or finer) will also work rather quickly.

Blaine B. said:
Belt dressing sucks.
x2 i used it once and it made my sqeak even worse.... definently NOT for serp belts.

Most serp belts I have installed all have a thin layer of felt on the ribs....gives it hat "fuzzy" feeling and is there for noise reduction....when you use dressing, it soaks into it and causes slippage....then noise. As stated, dressing is just a bandaid and will almost always make it worse once it has soaked in. Personally, I don't use dressing....if the serp belt is chirping, replace it...if a pulley is growling, replace it. Depending on the condition of the belt and set up, you may get away with adjusting if it's necessary...but eventually it'll need replacing. Leave the dressing to vbelts...keep the serps clean.

Hallo. Beltdressing makes the squeal worser. so you can locate and find the real problem must easier. I used once Loctite8005(V belt gripspray)
LOL sound like a pig. It was the Idle pully,first very difficult to find.:laugh:

A bar of Ivory soap will help with V belts, Like if you have a squeaking belt and a hot date.

Back